I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing rod grip and reel seat
Posted by: rick humphrey (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: February 14, 2015 05:32PM

I would like to remove a reel seat from a spey rod and reinstall it as a downlocking seat to improve the rod/reel balance. The rod is a Meiser, that I built as a kit, without realizing the seat should be downlocking.
I'm assuming I'll have to sacrifice the lower grip, but would like to save the seat without damaging the blank. I've read a few suggestion for doing this, but thought I'd look for the best advice on this site.
Any help would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing rod grip and reel seat
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 14, 2015 08:30PM

if the seat is solid you can try some heat to sofen the epoxi but don't hold your breath , for the most part the seat is on there an the easyest way to remove it is to cut an install a new one if you count your time as money that is the fastest way , in pass threads if you look up on this forum lots of people have tried but few have accomished it ,
most just replace the seat , some use heat gun an kep it moving some use a hot water bath an some just use a drumel tool cut a slit from top to bottom on 2 sides 180 deg apart , them use a flat tip driver an go to it , [ that is the fastest an easyest way to get it off you will need to rework the top grip if not ' REPLACE IT "
my 2 CTS ON IT, run a surch ont this froum an see what thet have tried in the passed try's

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 15, 2015 11:19AM

I have had very good luck removing fly rod reel seats using the boiling water method. I place the seat in a zip lock bag to prevent it getting wet, then boil for 15 min. and work quickly (use gloves as seat will be hot) to pull the seat off the butt end. Sometimes it takes a couple of boiling sessions to get the epoxy under the seat warm enough to loosen. It is easier if the reel seat is all metal or the wood insert is hardwood as they conduct the heat to the epoxy better. Be sure the entire seat is under the boiling water!

Date: February 15, 2015 02:22PM

Thanks for your replies.
I'm a little nervous about damaging the blank while boiling the seat. The lower 6" of the blank would be in the water as well. Should I be worried?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2015 03:25PM

Most graphite blanks utilize resin systems that won't be harmed until somewhere over 225F. Most will handle a little more. Since water boils at 212F, you are generally okay to try this method.

Date: February 17, 2015 08:06PM

Will give it a try...Thanks for your help.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: February 18, 2015 02:33AM

G'Day Rick I only had one success in removing grips & seat to put on another rod & I managed to do this using hot water from the tap .With a lot of time & twisting things the glue started to loose their grip .The overall time was around the 2 hour mark .But once things started to move the time from then on was probably only around 15 min. I made sure that I had thick rubber gloves to stop scalding of my hands The grips & seat are now mounted on another blank & the owner is fishing happily with it .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: carol staiculescu (---.residential.rdsnet.ro)
Date: February 20, 2015 01:50PM

I've done quite a few repair jobs involving handle changes or reel seat replacements and always managed to recover the reel seat to be used again. The best an safest way was with the heat gun. I've also tried cooking the handle in the oven or boiling it but with the heat gun I have better control of the procedure . You should wave the gun and constantly rotate the rod to avoid burning the reel seat or the rod blank underneath the reel seat. A cooking glove or something else which can also provide heat insulation and a good grip will do to grab the reel seat and rotate it . You should heat and try to rotate rotate the reel seat at 2-3 minute intervals . Of course, previously you have to remove the butt section of the rod.
In fact , changing factory design of fishing rods brought me to this : [www.youtube.com]

kingofbeasts custom rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster