I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Black Hole USA Products at 2015 EXPO
Posted by: kil song (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2015 09:33PM

It's been 6 years since we started to introduce Black Hole Cape Cod Special rods to the US Market after I experienced enormous power of light inshore Black Hole popping rods when I guided Korean TV fishing team for big bluefin in Cape Cod.
We have developed our own Black Hole rods/blanks from inshore to surf since. Every model we introduce is beyond our expectation.

Here are list of our products to be displayed at the 2015 EXPO.

- Black Hole Cape Cod Special Jigging Blanks: 80g, 150g, 250g, 350g and 450g one-piece as well as two-piece
- Black Hole Cape Cod Special Popping Blanks: 7'6", 8" and 8'6" Nano carbon as well as Graphite. *8'6" blank has only Nano.
- Black Hole Magic Eye Jigging rods and Popping rods (571, 632, 732 as well as 804_ * rods are displayed at the show
- Black Hole Pioneer Slow Pitch Jigging blanks
- Black Hole Cape Cod Special Slow Pitch Jigging blanks
- Black Hole Cow Special I, II and III 7'
- Black Hole Cape Cod Special Surf blanks ( light and heavy) 10'6"
- Black Hole Cape Cod Giant Special blanks 6'
- Black Hole Challenger Bank inshore blanks (light, medium and heavy) 7' - 7'6"
- Proto-type BlackHole Cape Cod Special snapper rod

The Company is famous for excellent fresh water bass rods for 30 years and we are going to display some models of fresh water rods at the show.

Even we have very short history in the US, the Black Hole Cape Cod Special jigging and popping rods are regarded as the strongest rods for its weight by many on the East Coast.
I'll post pictures of catches by each model.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Black Hole USA Products at 2015 EXPO
Date: February 07, 2015 09:54PM

Black Hole Cape Cod Special Jigging Rods one-piece

Giant fighting with BH Cape Cod Special 450g factory rod.. The rod weighs about 11.5 oz.
[www.youtube.com]

773 lb giant using custom Black Hole Cape Cod Special 450g rod. the 5'8" bank weighs 5.9 oz
[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 08, 2015 03:13PM

Black Hole Cape Cod Special 250g jigging rod.
The line rating is for PE3 - PE6 ( 30 lb - 60 lb braid)

251 lb yellowfin tuna on the Excel.

Black Hole Cape Cod Special 150g jigging rod
The line rating is for PE2 - PE5 (20 lb - 50 lb braid) You expect to catch 20 - 50 lb fish, but the rod proves much more than that.

270 lb halibut t Icy Bay Lodge in Alaska

120 - 170 lb yellowfin on the Marla out of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Black Hole Cape Cod Special 80g jigging rod
The line rating is for PE2 - PE4 ( 20 lb - 40 lb braid)

Date: February 08, 2015 03:54PM

Black Hole two-piece Cape Cod Special rods/blanks

We decided to develop two-piece jigging rods for carry-on as airlines start to charge heavy for extra bags or oversize bags.

The two-piece Black Hole Cape Cod Special 80g spinning rod didn't break at 32 kg (71 lb) pressure on the machine test.
When we developed the two-piece carry-on rods, we were not concern about the strength of the rods, but the major concern was the
joint with only 3 ft long guides section could hold the heavy pressure. I am very relieved after watching the video.
Not a sinlge the two-piece jigging rod came back to us for breakage after we introduced them three years ago.

[www.youtube.com]

Big GT in Madacasca in Africa with BH Cape Cod Special two-piece 250g rod

Date: February 08, 2015 05:04PM

Black Hole Cape Cod Special Popping rods/banks

These butt jointed popping rods are designed for big fish like tuna or GT.casting 3 - 6 oz poppers.
We are in the process of developing lighter Cape Cod Special popping rods/blanks.
There are Nano Carbon and Graphite popping rods available. Nano give soft feeling and it is very easy to fight while fishermen who like to fight with power like graphite models.

7'6", 8'0" and 8'6" blanks available for Nano and Graphite though only Nano blanks area available for 8'6" model.

No one broke these rods yet except a couple of joint issues after introducing 5 years ago.

60kg GT with BH Cape Cod Special 80 Graphite.in southern Oman.

action of BH Cape Cod Special 80 Nano for big bluefin in Cape Cod wit

250 lb bluefin with BH Cape Cod Special 8'0'

80 lb GT with BH Cape Cod Special 8'6" in Fiji

Date: February 08, 2015 06:32PM

Balck Hole Magic Eye rods are magic.

The Magic Eye rods are factory rods, not designed for us. I didn't like the white.red color as you can see those color rods on party boats.
But I like soft action of the rods for inshore. I brought the light 5'7" jigging rod to French Polynesia trip and I was amazed at the strength of the rod for 40 - 60 lb GT and big shark. ( you will never find a place like French Polynesia infested with sharks. )

Then, we tested 8' Magic Eye inshore popping rods rated to PE4 ( 40 lb braid). And we landed numerous yellowfin tuna upto 100 lb.!
Guys who like soft rods/blanks for inshore fishing will love this rods.

what 6.4 oz Magic Eye 571 rod can do. The line rating is PE2 - PE2.5 ( 20 lb - 25 lb braid)
[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 08, 2015 07:04PM

Black Hole Magic Eye 753 spinning rod. the line rating is for PE3 (30 lb) and lure rating is for 1 oz - 2 oz.
This light popping rod is good for snook, bluefin or striped bass, but the rod proves to catch much bigger fish as you see in the video and pictures.

Fighting a decent tuna in Bermuda
[www.youtube.com]

fighting a big bream in Southern Oman

fighting a 80 - 100 lb tarpon in Costa Rica

tuna in Bermuda

Date: February 08, 2015 07:19PM

Black Hole Magic Eye 804 spinning.

The lie rating is for PE4 (40 lb). It is 8' inshore rods, not for tuna. But we landed tuna upto 100 lb in Panama and on the Excel, long range boat out of San Diego.

8' Black Hole 804 rod action for tuna in Panama

[www.youtube.com]

Action for tuna on the Excel. More spinning rods are being used on the long range boats recently. You can see action of BH Magic Eye 804 in the video ( white and red color)

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 08, 2015 09:09PM

Black Hole Challenger Bank inshore rods/blanks

These rods are the first step to introduce one-piece rods for inshore general fishing in the US.
I was a fan of original Gloomis rods before Shimano took over.
I like light, thin and stiff rods with crispy feeling for inshore fishing.
The new BH Challenger banks have similar characteristics of original Gloomis rods,but they are lighter and stronger in my subjective opinion.
The difference is BH Challenger Blank tip section is a little softer as they mixed with Nano carbon.

There are four models: light, medium medium/heavy and heavy.

-Challenger Bank 701L blank
weight: 2.5 oz
line rating:10 - 20 lb
lure weight: 1/2 oz - 2 oz

Very light, but strong enough to swing one gallon of water (8.34 lb)
great for fluke or seabass,but the rod can hanle striped bass or bluefish.

Date: February 08, 2015 09:28PM

Black Hole Challenger Bank 731 M blank
length: 7'3"
weight:3.8 oz
line rating: 20 lb - 25 lb
lure weight: 3/4 oz - 4 oz

This rod is good for togging, mutton snapper, bluefish, striped bass or yellowtail, cobia, tarpon, mahi mahi or AJ under 50 lb.

Date: February 08, 2015 10:00PM

Black Hole Challenger Bank 731 H blank
length: 7'3"
weight: 5.6 oz
line rating: 30 lb - 60 lb
lure weight: 4 oz - 10 oz

This rod is a big surprise for me. I thought this rod is good for deep drop as it is light and have enough backbone, but I did not realize the rod is good for even big tuna.
The first tuna on this rod was a 200 lb bigeye in Fishtail Canyon off RI. After landing several tuna including 180 lb bluefin, I got the confidence with the rod and recommend even for big tuna, AJ, yellowtail, GT or deep drop. It is just amazing so light 5.6 oz blank can handle even big tuna's pressure.

Date: February 08, 2015 10:35PM

Black Hole Cape Cod Special Surf rod 10'6" blank ( light and heavy)

10'6" BH Surf Rod Heavy

length: 10'6" ( 2pc with mid joint)
weight: 383g ( 13.5 oz) for rod and 8.4 oz for blank
lure weight: 3 - 6 oz
line rating: PE4 - PE6

10'6" BH Surf Rod Light

length: 10'6" (2pc with mid joint)
weight: na for rod and 7 oz for blank
lure weight: 1 - 3 oz
line rating: PE2 - PE3

We mostly tested the heavy model.
It is not the lightest rod and it is not best casting rod. But it is pretty light and cast pretty good.
The real forte of this rod is strength, performance of fighting fish with flex as well as giving more lively action to the lure because of soft tip.

As I said, if a surf rod get broken while fighting bluefin or striped bass, something is wrong.
This surf rod is for striped bass or bluefish or drum and you don't have to worry about breaking the rod while fighting.
The rod are Nano Carbon, and you get soft feeling while casting and fighting.

fighting a tuna in Australia

fighting a tuna in Panama

Lydia with tarpon, snook, shark and big red from the surf in Florida

Date: February 09, 2015 03:28PM

Ultra light Black Hole snapper rod/blank

The rod is new and is in testing stage. The rod/blanks will be displayed at the show.
This ulta light rod is like freshwater trout rod weighing 3.8 oz ( the blank weighs only 1.6 oz).
I tested the rod in amazement. I could lift and swing one gallon of water (8.34 lb) with this tiny rod.
It is no wonder they got red snapper upto 90 cm with this rod. I can't wait to test the prototype rod for mutton snapper in Dry Tortugas out of Key West.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Webmaster