I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stitching Rod: Question on guide layout
Posted by: Matt_Magnone (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2015 10:46PM

I'm paying homage to an older bass technique that seems to be lost in the past. Building a "stitching rod" for fishing larger soft plastics in the 8"-13" range. A little Bill Murphy style. I found a blank that fits the bill having both a soft tip while still having a good amount of backbone needed to put a hook in a fish at the end of a long cast. I plan to wrap on Pac Bay wire frame guides to keep the build as if it came out of a time capsule while still being a little modern. If I have to, I'll just run straight Alconite guides.

I'd like to build on cone of flight but a couple guys tell me I should wrap NGC. Any Ideas? The goal is to present an 8" -13" plastic worm with minimal weight a LONG distance.

I've built plenty of conventional rods but have yet to attempt a spinning so this is a little foreign to me. Everything states I should start with a size 30 butt guide but I'm a little hesitant based on spool diameter. Can anyone recommend a good guide layout on both wire frame and Fuji Alconites. Not a big fan of the K guide style.

Thank you so much for any tips!

Blank:
Phenix Hybrid PSW-805XL-B
6-17"
Fast Action

Reel:
Garcia 306
Shimano Stradic 5000

Spool Diameter:
2" - 2.5"

Line Type:
Mono / Fluoro 8-12 #

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stitching Rod: Question on guide layout
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2015 10:20AM

Nothing wrong starting with a size 30 butt guide.

It will work fine for the cone of flight, just use successive smaller guides to reduce the cone and you will be good to go.

The Pac Bay minima guides will work just fine. 30,16, 12, 8, 6 to the tip.

If you want to use a guide that is smaller than a 30, just use a taller butt guide like a match guide and you could go down to a 20 if you like.

This is a nice general purpose guide size that will work just fine with nearly any reel that you want to put on the rod. This layout will work just fine with both pac bay minima as well as the Fuji Alconite guides.

Good luck

Posted by: Matt_Magnone (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 06, 2015 11:01AM

I really appreciate that man. I know how these questions can get a little old to answer.

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2015 07:18PM

You mite want to look at the micro wave system for distance casting.

last winter I took three identical crank bait rods set up two with micro wave the third the cone of flight setup
my wifes rod and mine far out performed the third casting distance and accuracy .
I always have a couple of flashy rods on deck usualy sparks conversatrion
I let people try them when im out fishing on the water its fun seeing there reactions and faces light up

I also show them spirol wraped rods that's a whole different reactions. you really need tocatch a good fish on one to really appreciate the techneek

got off tract yes check out the micro waves if you try them you wont be disappointed.

Curt

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2015 10:13AM

Hey Matt,

'Didn't know you checked out the Rodbuilder.org web site. I would second the suggestion made by Curtis for using the ATC MicroWave Guide set, unless you want to keep it entirely "old school". The MicroWave guide sets are, in IMHO, the smoothest and furthest cast available and super simple to set up!

By the way, thanks for all you suggestions and help when I was in the shop earlier in the week.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2015 10:14AM by Donald R Campbell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster