I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tennessee Handles - Cork and Slip Rings
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 04, 2015 07:27AM

On a custom Tennessee handle with alternating natural cork and burnt or burl cork rings for durability, and using graphite slip rings to hold the reel on, will the reel stay snug all season, or will it still loosen regularly? Not asking about tape or wrapping a reel on as an option, just staying with the slip rings.

I built a few last season but only got to fish them a little, so looking for a little more experience on this one.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 07:27AM by Marc Morrone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tennessee Handles - Cork and Slip Rings
Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: February 04, 2015 07:56AM

I have not found anything that holds tight ALL season. It is just common practice I guess to have to snug things up before each outing just to make sure. On the TN handles I have used with aluminum rings I had to snug them several times each day. Didn't like it and went to the plastic or nylon type rings and had better luck but still need to check them every so often.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2015 08:55AM

I have sanded the inside of the nylon rings tends to give better grip

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 04, 2015 09:18AM

Would be nice to have some nylon rings with a soft touch, rubberized finish like the Aero seats!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2015 09:30AM

The reel foot needs to be under tension, so either the grip or the rings need to be able to provide a little stretch and/or compression. You did the right thing by mating the nylon rings with the harder cork. Tape is still going to be the all around best mount, but I understand that some guys just don't want to go that route.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 04, 2015 10:46AM

Heat shrink tubing makes a nice firm, comfortable way of holding a reel on a "No Rings" handle.
Usually about 2-3" strips at each foot.
Something like the Batson "X-Flock"
[alpsforecast.com]
We carry most in stock, give us a holler.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Andy Stromsness (199.67.131.---)
Date: February 04, 2015 12:33PM

Try these out guys, if anything it is a nice use of re-purposing and reminds us all to think out of the box. We use these on ice rods, without reel seats, all the time. Actually started as bands for sheep or used to keep minnow bags closed up.

www.coldsnapcover.com then click on “Cold Snap Reel Wraps”

Posted by: Bill Blount (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 04, 2015 04:01PM

Marc,
I have a few of my own lite & UL rods with the Tennessee cork Handle with slip rings I built up in the 70s & 80s that are still going strong and have no problems with the reel slipping around, in fact they are occasionally hard to get off when I need to work on the reel... and that is even after my teenagers fish them and they stay together (my boys usually put all my tackle to the test)...

We may want to review a past forum on this topic, Tennessee Handles - Cork vs Sensor weight? by Mo Yang, dated August 02, 2004

On my heavier spinning rods I used and have recommend to my customers to use the Tennessee Sensor Handle with the graphite arbors... although the cork has good sensitivity, I feel the Sensor handle balances the larger rods better with great sensitivity... I typically do not use the sensor end caps that are available but turned my own end caps from hard wood on a little Dremel lathe, the hard wood also adds a plus to the sensitivity issue... and to decorate the butt cap and hosel I would use coins; ones that added to the theme of the rod design like for my folks' 40th anniversary I used 2 pennies on each rod that where minted the year they married {see Dale Clemens, Advanced Custom Rod Building book pg 142-143 for a picture of some of my work} and there are others that are doing similar custom work...
one final point for what its worth, on the larger rods with larger reels I do not like the way the slip rings work on the sensor handle therefore I have used a quality tape or tape and shrink tube on the sensor handle, even though the tape lessens the sensitivity some if the handle is not held right by the user... maybe the size of the reel is the problem with the rings not holding??!!??
+++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2015 07:32PM

I have tried rings for a short period of time and have found that if they don't slip, they end up digging into the grip.

Although you said not to mention tape, I still think that that is best solution. The other advantage of tape is that the tape is close to 0 thickness so it is a great fit for your hand. With rings, the rings can tend to dig into your hands.

Your choice.

If you use tape, just keep a roll of tape in the tackle box, if you ever have to service a reel, or if something changes.

Be safe

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.sub-70-199-0.myvzw.com)
Date: February 05, 2015 02:58PM

When I built my last dropshot rod, I turned the cork so the nylon slide rings were snug. They won't move on their own, unlike some premade ones I've seen. When I mount the reel, it seems to stay put.

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2015 09:58AM

In my experience the problem with the modern rings id the swage to fit
the reel.. The original style rings in the early 50's did not hane this swage
and did not loosen. The easiest fix I found was to simply rotate the swage
90 degrees (away from your casting hand) thereby creating the original design.
And yes they will push into the handle as they were meant to - to prevent
slippage. They push down on the reel at one end and into the handle at the other.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster