I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Guide Concept Quandary
Posted by: Dan Costanza (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2015 10:24PM

We are on a quest to make the ultimate setup for tossing bunker heads in pursuit of large Striped Bass in New Jersey.

After reading about this Fuji “New Guide Concept” I found it to be very interesting. I like the idea so much we decided that it was just what we should use for our build. Here lies the problem….

We use 7’ fast / med. Heavy and the reel of choice here will be a Shimano 4500 baitrunner. The 4500 spool diameter is 63mm. Multiplied by 27 we are at 1,701mm or 67inches. Given a 10”butt grip and a 5” reel seat we will see the face of the 4500 at 17”. So we run up 67 inches from the reel face ... to find a “CHOKE POINT” that is at 84" …………. Right on the tip ? ? ?

Zero running guides where I was imagining a choke, 4 runners, and a tip.

Are we doing something wrong here, because this obviously ain’t workin even a little bit.

Thanks in advance for your time and input !

Dan

Re: New Guide Concept Quandary
Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2015 01:08AM

Consider the KR concept...rapid choke
[anglersresource.net]

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2015 02:13AM

Not my business what guides you prefer, but I solved all these problems and more by switching to Micro-waves.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2015 07:44AM

The choke point can be the tiptop - there is nothing that says you need to use any running guides. They are only used to take up additional rod length. Anything beyond the choke point really doesn't matter.

How quickly you can located the choke guide has something to do with your line choice. Fuji's Rapid Choke might work for you as well, provided the line is not too large nor too stiff. Give them both a try and see which you prefer for your particular set up.

Posted by: Robert Tanner (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 18, 2015 08:30AM

I would go with Micro waves .They work very well.

Date: January 18, 2015 10:59AM

Follow up ............. THANKS !

We use 50lb power pro and we were looking at Fuji Alconite

I like that KB with the oversized beveled foot ........ makes a lot of sense.

I Like the Micro Wave concept a lot also BUT .... what happens when you break that fancy shmancy dual ring stripper ? Only sold in sets ? ? That's a concern.

Here's my main objective .................... distance and accuracy are not in play as we are tossing 3 or 4 oz bunker noggins with 4 oz. of lead. no skill here. But if and when a 50 lb Bass picks that thing up I want to be able to

1. Turn it inside out with nuclear a hookset.

2. Hold that fish with pressure that is DISTRIBUTED EVENLY THROUGH THE UPPER HALF OF MY ROD. That is why I was interested in this running guides of the same size and spacing concept.

I appreciate your input here guys, I have built a few rods sometime back but it's been 10 years probably now. I respect your knowledge and understand the value of your time !

Tight Lines !

Dan

Date: January 18, 2015 01:06PM

This is the second time this week I have read something about the vulnerability of the compound stripper guide used in the micro-wave guide set.
Trust me...This isn't a concern! I have been using Micro-waves since American Tackle took the idea over.
The Stripper guide is strong, I have had no problems at all, nor have my clients and friends.
There is a heavy duty surf casting set of guides available.
I'm a fresh water guy, so I have never used them, but I have landed Pike and Musky that attacked my Bass baits, while using Micro-waves.
Secondly, what is this concern about the guides only being sold in sets about???
Am-Tack wants the guides to perform as advertised, so they give you an optimized matched set, that has everything you need to accomplish the job.
The price is reasonable...What's the problem? Does this somehow threaten your Constitutional freedom of choice?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2015 01:27PM

Gary,
I suspect that the poster's concern, is that if a microwave stripper guide every breaks, one would have to buy another set; rather than just one guide.

Be safe

p.s.
If this is on a bass rod, it is not at all uncommon to have a guide - of any size - break.

Simply put, many bass rods live a hard life. They get jammed into and jerked out of rod lockers. They are laid on the deck and every now and then, one or a bunch of rods gets stepped on.
If any of these things happen, there is a better than even chance that a guide may be broken or badly bent.

I am not suggesting that the stripper microwave guide is going to break during normal casting and retreiving.

But, many guides, are broken or badly bent during retreiving, stowing and stepping on the rod or guides.

Date: January 18, 2015 02:12PM

I have seen the natural curve of the M-W stripper straightened out by "boat rash" type wear and tear, but have never had one fail.
If the worse did happen, one would suspect that Am-Tack would sell you a replacement, but I can't prove it.
In the real world, I think that if you did break the Microwave stripper, you have most likely broken the rod too.

Date: January 18, 2015 06:14PM

My concern was exactly that Roger ! If I step on it ...can I buy just the one, to replace it.

As far as the threatening of my constitutional freedom of choice goes. There is NO problem ......... and that statement speaks for itself. Is that a reflection of this boards attitude in general ? If so.......

Sorry I solicited you guys now ........ I'll figure it out myself.

DC

Date: January 18, 2015 06:14PM

My concern was exactly that Roger ! If I step on it ...can I buy just the one, to replace it.

As far as the threatening of my constitutional freedom of choice goes. There is NO problem ......... and that statement speaks for itself. Is that a reflection of this boards attitude in general ? If so.......

Sorry I solicited you guys now ........ I'll figure it out myself.

DC

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2015 06:40PM

I guess that is what is called - Marketing ???
You can also not buy there guides and sets and go this way
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 18, 2015 06:54PM

Dan;
Holy Crap!!! I was kidding...Lighten up okay!
I'm a Canadian, and sometimes don't realize how shallow the American sense of humor can be.
Sorry if I offended your constitutional rights...HAHAHA.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2015 11:26PM

Garry,
Have a wonderful day.

How can the day not be wonderful with the outcome of the two Foot ball play off games in the rain.

Stay warm and enjoy the new year.

Be safe

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 19, 2015 09:49AM

I would table-edge that set-up in search of a compromise between 27X and KR. KR is a high-frame concept...not the best choice for this rod. Although it may be a great choice when we introduce the double foot KR Concept "RV" in mid to late feb.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 19, 2015 10:07AM

If you had to buy a new set you would end up with spares for the smaller guides when you sooner or later break them. There is also nothing wrong with using the rest of the set on a different build.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 19, 2015 10:07AM

If you had to buy a new set you would end up with spares for the smaller guides when you sooner or later break them. There is also nothing wrong with using the rest of the set on a different build.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Date: January 19, 2015 03:22PM

Good Lord
Fuji and another guide There is not enough guides now And what is this one going to do LOL LOL LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Robert Tanner (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 19, 2015 04:47PM

You should use a bigger rod like 7' 6'' or 8'. May be a L904 or L905 Mud Hole blanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2015 04:52PM by Robert Tanner.

Date: January 19, 2015 05:03PM

Ray

These are Fuji guides They don't break LOL LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster