I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA Grip Installation on a small diameter blank
Posted by: Bruno Giuliari (12.10.199.---)
Date: January 16, 2015 11:24AM

Hi,
I'm installing a 12" cross-cut EVA grip with a 1/2" hole on a vertical jigging blank. The blanks taper is smaller than a 1/2". Do most of you just use masking tape rings to build it up, similar to a reel seat installation?
Thanks
Bruno

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA Grip Installation on a small diameter blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2015 12:06PM

Use some heavy thread or cord to spiral wrap the blank to make up the size difference. Quicker and better than tape bushings. Smother the cord with epoxy and "screw" the grip in place.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 16, 2015 12:20PM

That all depends, how much smaller is your blank than the 1/2" hole in your foam, and how important is minimal weight to you? A lot of tape built up will certainly add weight to the build, a small amount of tape not so much. Mock it up and judge the weight for yourself. If you find it too heavy, you'll have to approach the mounting process using a material that is lighter in weight than the tape.

If weight is a concern, It's probably easier to buy a new grip with a smaller hole and ream it to correctly fit your blank's taper, but if you didn't want to go that way you could make a core from another piece of foam (or cheap cork or other lightweight material), epoxy it in place, and slide your grip over that. Keep in mind that if you go with a core material, even tape, that it will be visible on the ends which may require something to hide it from view (inside edges of rear split grips or front grip).

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 04:51PM

Bruno,
I use masking tape and leave 1/8th inch gaps in the tape for epoxy to reach the blank and secure the grip in place without having to worry about the masking tape sticking. You are just using the tape as a spacer, but the glue for adhesion.

Or follow John's advice on the use of an inexpensive lightweight arbor, if the gap is considerable.

Good luck

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 05:18PM

How much smaller? Why not just get the proper size or smaller and then ream it?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 06:12PM

Randy is right on
save the other one for another rod

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bruno Giuliari (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 11:05PM

Thanks everyone for all the ideas. I'm building a Bushido BVJ58400 and I wasn't able to find a 12" grip with a 3/8" or 1/4" hole smallest in that size 1/2". My other option is to do cork or make my own EVA grip but I really like the cross cut grips.

Date: January 17, 2015 08:12AM

there is a way to lay twine over eva Glue it on Then put shrink tubing over Similar

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2015 11:43PM

Bruno

Here is a cross cut grip with a .375 in hole

[www.mudhole.com]

Tom

Date: January 19, 2015 07:53AM

.375 = 9.525 mm

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bruno Giuliari (12.10.199.---)
Date: January 20, 2015 03:10PM

Thanks but those grips have been backorder for sometime now.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 21, 2015 12:58PM

It sounds like you have a large area to fill (big difference in blank diameter vs grip hole size) over a long length (12"). I'd be inclined to build up a lightweight inner bushing from cork or foam to keep weight down since you want to use a specific premade grip vs making one from raw stock without a hole. Your options are limited.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster