I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

troling rods
Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2015 10:46PM

A friend gave me two batson-forcast blanks
RX6 MB 785 12-25lbs. 3\8-1-1\2 oz
He would like to make them trolling rods for trout and landlocked salmon
would like to make them 2-pcs.
itseemed to me that they may be a little strog for the soft mouths during the strike
not shure im not a trolling person and not familiar with these rods, I have built a couple fly rods with RX7s perform quite well.
I would like to get a general guide layout and types and sizes, so I can also locate for the farral
Reals will be abu garcea c4 6400

Or is this a blank better for an another use and he needs a different blank for his intentions
He seems to really like them
Any other info would be helpful as well.
thanks for all your help as allways .
thanks Curt
Ill checking the replyes tomorrow must get up for work at 4am getting tired.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: troling rods
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2015 08:19AM

Curtis,
The best blank for this use; really depends on what technique he is going to use when trolling.

If, when he is trolling; he is using Lake Trolls, then I think that this blank would be perfect.

If he is going to be using this rod for down rigger fishing, this is the wrong blank to use for the application. If, he is going to be using deep diving lures for his trolling - this blank could be close to wheat he needs. So, it would be good if you could ask exactly he is going to troll for the fish; and how deep he wishes for his lures to run.

Certainly, for any of these applications, it would make sense that he uses the rod in a casting rod configuration, so casting guides and a trigger reel seat is the way to go on the rod. I would NOT use a cork grip; since it is likely that the rod will be in a rod holder most of the time. An EVA grip makes the most sense for this type rod.

Because you are Not casting with the rod, and you are not concerned with weight on the rod, I would use a pretty standard guide setup with no guides smaller than a size 6 or even 8, with a matching 6 or 8 tipe for the rod.

Because this is a trolling rod, it makes sense to use a spiral wrap on the rod so that the upper half of the rod has the guides on the bottom of the rod to eliminate rod twisting under the trolling load. Probably a 10 or 12 for the first guide and then go down from there.

Some techniques:
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Notice that a couple of videos illustrate down rigger fishing. With downrigger fishing, one typically uses a pretty flexible rod - normally a fiberglass rod, that can take a constant 90 degree bend due to the tension from the downrigger ball.

By the way, the typical glass downrigger rod is a very expensive rod (not), A rod that works for this application, typically costs $30 - $50 finished and ready to fish. Inexpensive blanks, guide and components work really well for down rigger fishing.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2015 08:22AM by roger wilson.

Re: troling rods
Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 15, 2015 07:52AM

Those blanks in the original post are likely too powerful. Look for something with a progressive to moderate action and 3/8 - 1oz lure weight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster