I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anglers Roost Switch blanks (what line?)
Posted by: David McDonough (198.22.2.---)
Date: January 07, 2015 06:55PM

Anglers Roost have a blank "UHM12 Ultra High Modulus 11ft 4pc 5/6wt." which they also sell in a switch rod kit.

I'm think of using it for Great Lakes steelhead (mainly nymphing but a little swinging)

Has anyone used this blank (or one in the series)?

Finding the right line for a rod this length seems bit of a crap shoot. (some 11ft 6# rods are best with about 350 grains!)

I want to use it single handed with a standard 6# WF floating line.

Is it suited to a WF 6# line (at about 30 feet) or 350 grains?

Thanks,

David

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anglers Roost Switch blanks (what line?)
Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2015 08:03PM

A 6wt line 1st.thirty ft. of line or length of shoothing head should weight 152-168 grams, 1 gram=15.4323584 grains.
exc. 160grams X 15.4323584=2469.1772 grains.
Curt

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2015 08:07PM

A 6wt line 1st.thirty ft. of line or length of shoothing head should weight 152-168 grams, 1 gram=15.4323584 grains.
exc. 160grams X 15.4323584=2469.1772 grains.
Curt

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2015 11:14AM

Switch rod ratings are all over the map. As Curtis mentions, a 6WF line would be a little light for a rod rated for 350 grains. All rods have a "grain window. Also not all lines conform to the AFTMA standard so if you have a 6 Wt line already, weigh it to see where it sits. If yours is on the high side of the 152-168 gram standard, then you might be fine.

Build it a cast it to see how well it loads. If it's primarily for nymphing, you probably won't be making a lot of long casts so a 7 Wt. line might be a better choice.

Terry

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2015 11:47AM

I have the ARE 11' for 6-7 line and it loads and casts well with their #7 Switch line.

Date: January 08, 2015 01:12PM

Thanks to those who responded.

I'm well aware that there's quite a difference between a 6# WF line and 6 # Switch line. My question is which line type of 6# it is designed for. I don't think that is at all clear from the labelling.

This blank is the heaviest blank they have in this series. There's also a 2/3#, 3/4# and a 4/5#. They sound like blanks designed for nymphing and (standard WF lines) to me. (Who needs a double handed or switch rod for a 2/3# line?) but maybe I'm wrong.

I'll find out the best line for it if I buy it. I'd rather know before.

Randolph, I think the rod you have is from a different series.

David

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 08, 2015 05:19PM

Have you asked Johnny which line it's intended for? It could well be that he doesn't know, but it's worth a shot. In fact, he may have specified the blank be made for one or the other.

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 09, 2015 12:16AM

I would guess that all of those blanks where actually made for centerpin fishing. Most of my spey/switch rod buddys from the pacific northwest laughed at me when I told them I was building a 5wt switch rod. I still built it and fish it alot here in Arizona. Not sure how good it would be up there.

Posted by: woody osborne (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: January 09, 2015 11:47AM

many , many people consider Steve Godshall THE guru when it comes to lining switch rods.
stevegodshall@charter.net he can dial in a line, his # was 541-840-2594

Date: January 09, 2015 05:39PM

I just contacted Johnny at Anglers Roost. He recommended a standard 5# or 6# WF line.

David

Posted by: jon tobey (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: February 12, 2015 12:03AM

I bought my 2/3 switch rod blank from Johnny (what a rod!) and my line from Steve. That is the way to go.
Just be aware that you need to call, not email these guys, and appreciate their conversation.
Like Johnny was telling me about catching salmon IN THE BRONX RIVER. And Steve endedn up selling me blanks. (Steve is associated with Meiser.)
I just love how that hooked up and wrote a blog about it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster