I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
key questions
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 24, 2014 02:34PM

When someone asks you to build them a fishing rod what are the first six or eight questions [besides price] you ask them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: key questions
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 24, 2014 02:51PM

I never ask them about price - that can only be determined by what they want.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2014 03:21PM

1 what are you fishing for?
2 Casting or spinning or fly
3 what length rod?
4 what line weight?
5 what lure weight?
6 how do you hold the rod for casting,
7 how do you hold the rod while retrieving and fighting a fish
8 How fancy do you want it and what grip material

There are a dozen or more other questions that need to be asked, so don't limit yourself to 6 or 8.

Date: December 24, 2014 03:54PM

Phi, if you would like, send me an e-mail and I will send you a copy of the rod record that I made up years ago, I sit down with the customer and go over everything that you need to know before making the rod. Randy

Posted by: Todd Noble (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 24, 2014 05:19PM

I would be interested in a copy of that as well randy, if you wouldn't mind...

Date: December 24, 2014 05:24PM

Todd, e-mail me and I will e-mail a copy to you.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 24, 2014 07:12PM

Todd...a few things to consider. Both sides are entering into an agreement on something that can't be seen nor felt. Therfore it is essential for both sides to have an agreement on expectations. Best to have a blank with finished thread wraps for customer to pick colors from. Best to make an artistic rendering of the finished product clearly noting all customer choices. Best to agree on what costs will be if he decides he doesn't like the colors he picked. Best to agree on how to prove blank is not defective and what happens if customer breaks it. Probably best to get customer to understand that he is ordering a "made to order" product....and if he doesn't like what he asked you to build it is up to him to sell it on the open market.....and not to think you will re-do things until he is satisfied.

Some are a joy to build for....some are best told to visit your competition:) And I say all of this even though I don't build for money!

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 24, 2014 07:21PM

I would also let him know that you can not compete with the big boys and it will cost more then any rod he sees in a store
A lot think they can get a rod built for the same or about the same price as store bought
I get a lot that want cork - quality - cork They sometimes go for eva after they find out how much it costs
Go to a fishing store pick a rod Wright down the price guides wraps blank Check out what you pay for all
Showing him - or her - what you will do with pictures is a good help Also backing up your work - Unless User Fault

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.236.---)
Date: December 25, 2014 09:16AM

I always point out that high modulus graphite is more fragile than lower performance options and go over the article in the library on how to treat a rod, and actually give them a copy with the rod. Since I build very few rods for people outside the family, I don't have the same issues as a pro builder. However, I really want to make sure people know that when they want the ultimate in light weight performance they are giving up some things related to durability.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: December 25, 2014 09:44AM

NOTE - the questions I use below are 'interchangeable' - in other words an answer to one question will add or eliminate others. For example "yellow fin tuna" eliminates "water conditions" but may add more depth to others like "other species"

1/ What is the target species and nominal size?
2/ What are the water conditions (pond/lake or fast running stream)?
3/ How will the rod be used (drifting, trolling, live bait, casting)?
4/ What are the average and maximum lure & terminal tackle weights - which leads to line strengths?
5/ Are there any length considerations (storage, portability, overhead/bimini tops)?
6/ Will the rod be in a rod holder on the boat (could determine handle construction, length & material)?
7/ Is this rod for you or as a gift / presentation?
8/ Is there an inscription to be on?
9/ Color selection - (specific to the point of using a color chart as not everyone has the same idea of what "blue" is)?
10/ Hand / palm measurements & forearm length (if possible - on site in person).

I NEVER ask "How much are you willing to spend?" I can and will present options along the way with short discussions on guide types (pro & con) or blank material / construction and impacts (durability / weight) All said and done "It is what it is" No discounts for time to complete, no discounts for multiples

Date: December 25, 2014 10:13AM

I NEVER ask "How much are you willing to spend?"

Why not

I get a lot of emails asking how much for such a rod Line lure weight how long
If they are asking - they are asking other builders as well Tire Kickers
I did ask many questions Then after showing pictures of different handles - seats - guides- thread patterns They like this They like that Many emails Send a price
Oh gee I can't afford that

Now I give a basic price A Starting Price with the option of adding bling and different additives to the rod
A lot don't know what is out to add to a rod Plus they are shopping around

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 25, 2014 10:41AM

Add to your list WHAT REEL ARE YOU GOING TO USE? Helps a lot with proper placement and size of the stripper guide on a spin rod.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: December 25, 2014 01:18PM

Buzz - Good "pick" on questions.

Bill - IMO starting out with a basic cost isn't "my thing". Just way too many variables unless the customer provides very specific information recent example: Phenix K2, Matagi reel seat; titanium micro guides; split grip cork construction. Then I'll provide a "cost plus" quote. If the cost is too high the customer has an the option to scale back. Absent that there are just too many shifting costs to actually provide a "build to" total cost. Blank (composition, maker); guide types (maker etc.); reel seat; grip material and design.

Date: December 25, 2014 01:39PM

After I find out what exactly the customer wants, that is when we discuss price.

Posted by: steve george (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 26, 2014 10:02AM

From a customer perspective and depending on your outlook, a customer that built rods for 30+ years, I want someone that inspires confidence.

If I don't think you can do the job as least as well as I could, why would I waste my time and money. If you have an attitude, can't spend the time and most importantly, refuse to listen, we are not a good match. Hopefully, one or both of us will see this early on.

Yes, I am picky and not easy to please. Yes, I make a big deal over the smallest of things, the devil is in the details. I may not be up on all of the latest trends and bling items but I do know what I want. On the other hand, I am not above someone making suggestions based on performance and experience. If I must make a change to an initial order, I will make sure it does not compromise your building sequence.
I am patient, I can wait but don't make stupid excuses and then expect to be paid before I have the rod in my hands. After all of that, if you can build what I need, the way I need it, we can do business. If you want to do it your way because you know it's better or will look better and you don't care what I think, don't expect to hear from me again.

Customers are not always right but the chip on you shoulder doesn't make you right either.

Date: December 26, 2014 11:10AM

The first return question would be
Do have a blank maker you want it built on Any companies you like Fuji for the seat - guides You looking for a full custom rod or a Plane Jain simple build
If they come back with some info that gives me some thing to go on
But they Should understand it is not a Off The Shelf Rod Most quality blanks are more then they sell for

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 26, 2014 06:39PM

I usually start with "Why do you want a custom-made rod?"

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster