I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy Cracking
Posted by: Ed Fontes (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2014 07:30PM

I build primarily heavy offshore rods that are put through their paces with Giant Bluefin Tuna, I coat the entire blank with epoxy to protect the blank, every now and then the epoxy cracks completely around the blank almost in a perfect line. The epoxy I use is touted as extremely flexible and overall it works well, does anyone have any ideas as to what would cause this problem, I am awaiting the manufacturers response also.

Re: Epoxy Cracking
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2014 08:03PM

Why coat the entire blank? It already has a very durable finish on it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2014 08:07PM

Epoxy isn't a good blank coating. Try a urethane product instead. They're harder, tougher, lighter and more flexible.

Date: December 07, 2014 09:41PM

Thanks Tom ,any recommendations on urethane, I see Aftcoat is a modified urethane

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 08, 2014 08:02AM

PermaGloss and LumaSeal would be excellent products. Check the archives here for how best to apply either.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2014 08:20AM

Just be careful to test a different finish before coating an entire rod. Since some of these products are "hot", they may interact in a negative way with the finish that may already be on the rod.

Be safe

Posted by: Bruno Giuliari (12.10.199.---)
Date: December 08, 2014 12:32PM

I've had the same issues with cracks in the epoxy around the blank especial noticeable over abalone sections. This happened on rods that I tried mixing Prokote and Threadmaster together to get the best features of both products. I've since gone to straight Threadmaster and haven't had the problems.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: December 08, 2014 12:53PM

Bruno,

When you say abalone sections to you mean an area of the blank entirely wrapped by abalone or a shape cut and applied like a decal would be applied to a smaller area of the blank? Just curious. I'm assuming you mean wrapped around.

Date: December 08, 2014 04:25PM

John,
The area that is totally wrapped with abalone such as the butt wrap and between the rollers.

Date: December 08, 2014 05:00PM

Hi Bruno
I agree 100% it is more prevalent over the abalone that I use on the butt sections only, I learned the hard way not to use abalone under the guides, it was a nightmare for me and will never do it again. These cracks are also completely around the rod in one section between two guides, there are three different cracks in this one section. The rod is brand new and just sent out last week, I need to find out fast what the problem is, I have not mixed different epoxies so that is not the issue.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 08, 2014 06:18PM

ED

I coat heavy blanks every once in a while
But
I thin my finish to a light or even a lighter then light What i want is a coat of finish that COVERS yet is not Heavy Sort of like a thicker permagloss
A light should work yet a little thinner even better You will have to play with how thin
I also use this as a blank coating and this is a lot better then any HOT urethain
Klass Kote check them out

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 10, 2014 03:33PM

Ed,
Hopefully Kevin from Angler's Envy responds to this. Maybe he's seen this before. I've built about a dozen rods using abalone and had this happen to 3 of them. They were the ones that I tried the mixture of the two brands of epoxy.
Bruno

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster