I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

polishing new wraps
Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 06, 2014 10:29PM

Does anyone have a way to polish out minor imperfections from a newly coated wrap. Occasionally I'll get a guide that has a particle of dust that landed on it while drying. Would like to get it perfect without putting another coat on it. Thx

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: polishing new wraps
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 06, 2014 10:35PM

Carefully and cleanly slice it off with a razor blade and let it go.

Epoxy doesn't lend itself to being sanding and polished.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.mycingular.net)
Date: November 06, 2014 10:39PM

Hey Tom, Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. MH

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2014 08:56AM

Michael,

If the finish is quite dry, and the imperfection is close to the surface, I will use a clean cloth, like a white handkerchief with the rod in the wrapper. You can spin the finished rod fast in the wrapper, and use the clean cloth as a polishing cloth to buff the surface.

As Mr. Kirkman stated - don't use any sort of sand paper or anything with any grit on it. I do however use a clean white handkerchief for some of these very very minor imperfections. But, again, I do it ONLY if the finish is VERY dry. Do not have even a hint of softness in the finish if you use the process, or you will create a very big mess.

By the way, you used a word, that should not be part of your rod shop in the finishing section. i.e. DUST.

Dust should not be part of your rod shop with respect to the finish area.

This is one of the big reasons, why there is no sanding or turning or any other sort of dusty work done in the rod wrapping and finish area. Any sanding, or turning is done in a different building, to avoid any sort of contamination in the finish area.

If the area has not been used for finish work for a while, I will open all of the window, and put a couple of big fans in the room pointing out the area. I also make sure that there is a fresh filter in the furnace that circulates air through the area - both summer and winter.

Finally, after everything has settled for a day, I leave a fan with a filter on it on low speed, to suck up any thing that might still be left in the air. I do this for at least a couple of hours, before ever mixing up, or applying any finish.

Good luck and may your surfaces always be pure as the driven snow -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2014 08:57AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.76.---)
Date: November 07, 2014 09:10AM

Hello Roger, thank you for your input. I agree any dust is too much dust. This winter I am going to build a long (13') drying cabinet so that the finishing process is contained and easy to clean between rods. A local builder has one that works very well for him. He even put a small heater in it to keep the temp constant. I like your idea with the handkerchief. I will give it a try. Thx, MH

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 07, 2014 10:46AM

Michael Harmon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Roger, thank you for your input. I agree any
> dust is too much dust. This winter I am going to
> build a long (13') drying cabinet so that the
> finishing process is contained and easy to clean
> between rods. A local builder has one that works
> very well for him. He even put a small heater in
> it to keep the temp constant. I like your idea
> with the handkerchief. I will give it a try. Thx,
> MH

Michael,

If you'd like, I still have the plans I drew up 4 or 5 years ago when I built my drying cabinet. It holds 4 rods at a time, is 8'-4" long and has glass doors on it. It wasn't cheap to build, but I love it and no worries on the dust issue. I can email you a PDF Copy of the plans if you'd like. Just send me your email address.

Don

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2014 11:42AM

Several shops around town, including myself; use a drum dryer in a drying cabinet to dry rods.

With a simple design, you can have a dozen rods in the box with the same space that would be used by fewer individual dryers with their own motors.

Here is one picture of a drum dryer that can dry a dozen rods at a time that has been posted on the picture page.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Be safe

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-198.myvzw.com)
Date: November 07, 2014 11:56AM

Micheal

If you check out our new video at the link below and skip ahead to 6 minutes, Roger Seiders will show you the technique of getting rid of these imperfections.

[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: November 07, 2014 12:32PM

Hey Don, that's great. Thank you for the offer. I'd like to check it out. My email is emaitchfishingrods@gmail.com. Thank you, MH

Date: November 07, 2014 12:35PM

Roger, I took a look at the drum roller photo you attached. That's a great idea. Looks like it would work well with surf casting and salt fly rods. I will keep the idea in mind when building my cabinet. Thank you, MH

Date: November 07, 2014 12:54PM

John, thanks for the reply. I will take a look at the video you recommended. I use your products so I'll watch the entire video. Thank you, MH

Date: November 07, 2014 12:58PM

Donald R Campbell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Michael Harmon Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hello Roger, thank you for your input. I agree
> any
> > dust is too much dust. This winter I am going
> to
> > build a long (13') drying cabinet so that the
> > finishing process is contained and easy to
> clean
> > between rods. A local builder has one that
> works
> > very well for him. He even put a small heater
> in
> > it to keep the temp constant. I like your idea
> > with the handkerchief. I will give it a try.
> Thx,
> > MH
>
> Michael,
>
> If you'd like, I still have the plans I drew up 4
> or 5 years ago when I built my drying cabinet. It
> holds 4 rods at a time, is 8'-4" long and has
> glass doors on it. It wasn't cheap to build, but I
> love it and no worries on the dust issue. I can
> email you a PDF Copy of the plans if you'd like.
> Just send me your email address.
>
> Don

Hey Don, I hit reply instead of quote. Please send the plans to me. My email is emaitchfishingrods@gmail.com. I appreciate the response and the offer. Take care, MH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster