I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Inkjet Decal
Posted by: John Gaylord (---.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 09:41AM

If i use an inkjet printer to print a graphic on adhesive backed decal paper, will the two part finish coats prevent sun fading?

John Gaylord
Keewaydin Custom Rods
Dublin, OH; Naples, FL
jgbuckeye@gmail.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inkjet Decal
Posted by: John Locke (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 10:35AM

That would depend on the specific inks used. Pigment inks are resistant to fade while dye based inks will fade fairly rapidly. Unfortunately it is not always easy or even possible to tell which printers use which inks. Epson had a line of inks some years ago, I think they were branded DuraBrite or something similar that utilized pigment based inks, not sure if they are still on the market or not. It is unlikely that a single manufacturer would have both dye and pigment based inks available for the same model printer. If shopping for an inkjet printer for this task, I would try to find one that uses terms like archival quality, lasting prints etc. Some thread finishes may have UV blockers that improve performance to fade, I'm not familiar with the chemistry with those to offer and advice on that point. Laser printers are another matter and usually will demonstrate good fastness properties. If you already have a printer that you wanted to use, only way to really tell is print a page and put it in the sun. (Or send it to a friend in Arizona or Florida for a faster answer!)

John

I love fishing, but to be honest this whole catching thing has me stumped!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 09:17PM

I have lots of experience, some not so good, some excellent, with decals with inkjet printers and I think John has it right.

If I were going to make a lot of rods with my custom inkjet decals on them I would have a printer specifically set up for the decals and use archival inks only. A recent article in Rodmaker indicates that the UV "filters" in epoxy are intended to protect the substrate, not the epoxy itself, so that indicates that there are pretty effective filters in epoxy.

I have decals that are 7 years old that look like new and I have two this year that lasted less than a year and dramatically changed color. It was cheap inkjet tanks which were refilled with inferior ink.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: November 01, 2014 11:30PM

G'Day John I have an Epson Printer set up with a "Continuous Ink Supply" with Pigment ink & have had no problems with the colour being leached by the sun .I have had this setup for only around 12 mths & more than happy with the results .The cost of the CIS system is on the costly side but you finish off in front due to the size of the ink containers & the cost of your printing is halved overall .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 02, 2014 08:19AM

I'm not sure whether you really mean paper media, but if you are not familiar with the white vinyl ad clear vinyls from Papillio, availabvle at some of the sponsors I believe, you should try it. It is very easy to use, very thin, colors show well, and it may be more color fast (no data). But for color fast, the ink is the key.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster