I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Microwave or two guide setup
Posted by: Dean Bledsoe (---.wilkes.net)
Date: October 10, 2014 01:27PM

I appreciate the advice on a simple tn handle for my Bushido sj68 8-15lb build. Now I'm thinking guide train. I have an inexpensive Shimano spinning reel for now, but I would like to upgrade to a higher end possibly larger spool reel in near future. I have the old castaway microwave guide but it just seems a little heavy for this build. Could I use the Tom Kirkman setup with 2 guides "on top of each other" and still have the flexibility of changing reels later on? If not I have Pacbay minimas for ngc,are they ok for braid? Btw nothing against microwaves I love them on light inshore rods. And I'll probably order the newer design for future builds.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave or two guide setup
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 10, 2014 02:21PM

Dean,
Your choice. Basically, you can use virtually any reel with a standard guide setup. Just set up the guides so that the equivalent of a 2500 sized reel works perfectly for it, and it will work just fine for reels from 1000-4000.

Minimas are just fine for braid.

Just use a 25,16,10 guide setup, or if running lighter line a 20, 16 10 guide setup and you will be good to go, if the first guide is a match guide to take care of the height of the reel.

Be safe

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.32.---)
Date: October 10, 2014 03:25PM

If you look at the Microwave site, it wil give a decent discription of the benefits including the decrease in guide weight vs a typical guide set. Minimas will be lighter than the typical set, but will not be lighter than the microwave sets I've used.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 10, 2014 04:23PM

Spencer

Did you weigh the sets on a scale and compare Same material

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 10, 2014 04:25PM

There is not a weight advantage to Microwave compared to a properly built KR Concept rod. Of course, it will always be lighter and cast further at the Microwave site.

Date: October 10, 2014 04:33PM

Of Course The sets are very good I was just wondering whitch weighted more
I would think the minamas would

At the butt of the rod it should not make that much difference and you can add whatever running guides you like as long they are set up correctly

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2014 04:43PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: October 10, 2014 05:13PM

Jim Ising just wondering why every microwave guide discussion you jump in on and slag the American tackle guides and the American tackle site on a whole. On the same note I don't see where the American tackle team ever slags the Fuji site or guides. Let us have a bit of professionalism here as both companies are well known and there is no need to slag each other.

Dean There is a difference in the two guide trains and you already like the MWG system so why not stick with them.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Date: October 10, 2014 05:39PM

The guy has a butt guide Microwave
Why not just add to that guide and make a running system

And i don;t ( slag ) any system ) !!!

What are ya going to do with the microwave guide he has -- Why not add to it and MAKE A GUIDE TRAIN with it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: October 10, 2014 06:32PM

Bill I didn't know that you are Jim Ising. I was talking to him and Dean.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Dean Bledsoe (---.wilkes.net)
Date: October 10, 2014 09:27PM

Lol. Didn't mean to start a p contest. Here's the thing. I do have the original microwave guide. I also plan on building more inshore rods.
I'm just trying to keep my bass setup as light as I can within reason. Besides salt, I mostly fish small streams and the new river. I recently started taking my kayak to a local lake and my ultralight isn't enough . Just wanted to know if Tom's setup would allow me to swap reels, just like the microwave, only lighter.

Date: October 11, 2014 09:34AM

Misunderstod your meaning - sorry

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.246.---)
Date: October 11, 2014 04:27PM

You can do way more for your casting performance by using 10 pound braid or Nanofil (or lighter if you prefer) with running guides big enough to pass a leader knot (I like 4.5's) than any guide train decision you can make. Will work very well for any reasonable guide train. Any modern guide will work for braid, just use a premium tiptop; that is where the grooving will occur.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster