I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

bubbles, ugh!
Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.121.88.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 02, 2014 09:58PM

Can someone please tell me why bubbles appear in my Pro Kote at the same place over and over? I put heat on the finish and the bubble popps just like it is supposed to do. However after a few moments a bubble appears in the same spot. I went through this several times with the same frustrating results. What am I doing wrong?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bubbles, ugh!
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 02, 2014 10:05PM

You may not be doing anything wrong. Did you seal your thread with CP? Is the bubble emanating from an area where air has been trapped such as the guide foot tunnels?

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 02, 2014 10:26PM

To much heat or a start of fisheye.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 02, 2014 10:52PM

I never apply heat and I never have bubbles! Bubbles can be introduced while mixing the epoxy, or if one is brushing the epoxy onto the wraps, or by applying heat to the epoxy. I very rarely use CP and with or without do not find bubbles emanating from the thread wraps. I have to qualify all this by stating that I only build fly rods and only use size "A" thread.

If you are getting bubbles initially, it is possibly that they are already in the mixed epoxy, or from brushing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2014 11:47PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: September 03, 2014 01:00AM

It seems ProKote (regular medium) do not like heat, the High Build accept it.
With the regular I not use heat and never had a bubble.

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.sub-70-194-139.myvzw.com)
Date: September 03, 2014 05:46AM

Try blowing through a small straw to burst an air bubble. I put an epoxy finish on bar tops occasionally and their product claims that CO2 in your breathe bursts air bubbles. It works for me but so does a clean flame passed quickly over the air bubble, I do it quickly enough to not actually heat anything though.

Posted by: Mihalyfalvi Gabriel (78.97.197.---)
Date: September 03, 2014 10:01AM

If that "same spot " is in the epoxi that is already applied on the wrap than you are facing the trapped air that is escaping from underneath the thread....usually due to overheating and maybe because your method of applying the finish is too quick and a good amount of air is trapped in the tunnel .

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: September 03, 2014 10:45AM

Mr. Hahn,
Try quickly applying a light coat of finish to each wrap to wet them. Then return to the first one and apply the final amount to the wet threads. Also: Try to minimize adding bubbles when mixing parts A & B (a mixer helps immensely with this), possibly thin your finish mixture out with just a little (one or two drops to start) denatured alcohol, and I highly recommend the straw technique mentioned by Mr. Kelly. I prefer it hands down to a torch.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2014 11:24AM

Mark,

Like Tom says, it might be air trapped in the guide foot tunnels which is slowly leaking out into the epoxy. Especially on spinning rods where the guides have a wider foot it is important to fill up the guide foot tunnels. To saturate / fill up the guide foot tunnels and remove the air; I apply two coats of Perma Gloss on the threads before applying the epoxy. I let the Perma Gloss dry 1 hour between coats and then let it dry overnight before applying the ProKote. The wraps come out beautifully and no bubbles and oh so pretty!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.bop.gov)
Date: September 03, 2014 12:32PM

Thanks for the help gentlemen. I appreciate all the information you gave me.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 05, 2014 08:10PM

I think a picture of your problem would really help us understand what might be happening. Is that possible?

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 05, 2014 09:55PM

Sounds like when you heat your finish you ALSO heat any air trapped in the thread
If your place is HOT cool it down
Put a thin coat of finish on and Do Not heat

This may work

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster