I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

all star guide delima
Posted by: Keith Smith (---.adtran.com)
Date: August 10, 2014 12:45PM

a friend of mine asked if i could replace a guide on an all star rod, it is ASLC907FLP, he recieved the rod as a Christmas present from his parents and does not have a reciept, i have looked on Mudhole and Jann's but cannot postively ID these guides, i called All Star, which it looks like now is pure fishing, and they could not tell me what brand of guides they use, they (All Star) suggested i call Academy (seriously),,,,,they are listed as titanium framed guides with hard titanium inserts....the tech guy at mudhole mentioned they sound like Pac Bay stuff, but having trouble finding exact copies/replacement guides

Thanks for any help, Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2014 12:47PM by Keith Smith.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: all star guide delima
Posted by: Doug Chadwick (---.sub-72-106-66.myvzw.com)
Date: August 10, 2014 03:11PM

Keith
after All- Star sell to shimano, they started castaway rods , they might be able to help

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: August 10, 2014 03:19PM

May be a missprint on the AllStar site...titanium frame w/ hard zirconia inserts sounds more like it if they're PacBay's. Alot of the Academys down here will/or used to exchange the rod, since AllStar is sold exclusively through them. Maybe post a closeup pic of the guides

Posted by: Keith Smith (---.adtran.com)
Date: August 10, 2014 03:24PM

Jerry Poindexter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> May be a missprint on the AllStar site...titanium
> frame w/ hard zirconia inserts sounds more like it
> if they're PacBay's. Alot of the Academys down
> here will/or used to exchange the rod, since
> AllStar is sold exclusively through them. Maybe
> post a closeup pic of the guides

I agree Jerry, from All Star's site;

The ASL Series
Using high modulus graphite with Nano Fiber technology, All Star has created one of the lightest, most sensitive rods on the market. The Titanium framed guides with Hard Titanium Inserts further reduc weight while increasing durability. The Fuji ACS and VSS reel seats increase comfort and sensitivity. Each rod is technique specific to maximize lure presentation and technique execution. The ASL series is designed for hard core anglers looking for a competitive edge.

•High modulus Nano Fiber graphite blank for reduced weight and increased sensitivity
•Technique specific action for enhanced lure presentation
•Titanium framed guides with Hard Titanium inserts
•Exposed Fuji ACS & VSS reel seats
•High density EVA for comfort and durability

as far as the exchange, it was a gift and he has no reciept...i'm not sure if he has tried or not, will be tomorrow before i can ask him...

I will try to post a pic this afternoon

Doug are you suggesting Kistler??? i know Billy and Trey from when i lived in Texas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2014 03:31PM by Keith Smith.

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: August 10, 2014 04:20PM

Keith, have you looked at these on Angler's Workshop? Haven't seen these on Mudhole's site
[www.anglersworkshop.com]

Posted by: Doug Chadwick (---.sub-72-106-66.myvzw.com)
Date: August 10, 2014 04:38PM

My old all stars have ceramic inserts

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 11, 2014 10:58AM

Keith,
Please take a bunch of pictures of the other guides on the rods, and post them in the picture section of this forum. I expect that someone will be able to identify a suitable replacement guide.

For the very worst case, just strip off all of the guides and put on a matching set of new guides. However, over the years, I have replaced many guides on rods. For those unusual rods that I have been unable to match, I can generally find a guide that has a very similar appearance and works very well as a replacement guide.

If there is a rod shop in your area, take your rod with the missing guide to the shop and find a suitable match or near matching guide.

Be safe

Posted by: Capt alan beck (---.txr.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 12, 2014 05:34AM

All star did not start castaway rods

Posted by: Keith Smith (173.242.198.---)
Date: August 12, 2014 07:56PM

had the chance to take a few pic's, but having difficulty figuring out how to "upload" photos

also got the following in an e-mail from All Star;

Keith,

The size chart is below:

Spacing Size Type
Tip Top 0 6 T-HMIF
70 6 T-KMIF
152 6 T-KMIF
248 6 T-KMIF
362 6 T-KMIF
483 6 T-KMIF
629 7 T-KMIF
794 7 T-LMIF
991 8 T-NMIF
1207 10 T-NMIF
1461 12 T-NMIF

V-Mark
Titanium frames with Hard Titanium Inserts

Hope this helps.

All Star Customer Service

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2014 08:01PM by Keith Smith.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 12, 2014 08:38PM

[rodbuilding.org]

Explains photo uploads.

Posted by: Keith Smith (173.242.198.---)
Date: August 12, 2014 10:24PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [rodbuilding.org]
> g-289503
>
> Explains photo uploads.
>
> .............

thanks Tom, I did not look down far enough, didn't realize I needed to "register" on the photo page, I have uploaded a few pictures to the "miscellaneous" photo's and I apologize for the quality...

thanks for the help and idea's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2014 11:53PM by Keith Smith.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 13, 2014 08:44AM

Assuming that rod is current enough to be made in the orient, there are so many component suppliers from which they probably sourced from directly that you may not find an exact match in the common custom rod building supply catalog selections. You may be faced with just getting close and matching it to whatever appears to be the closest possible guide style. You can determine the size by measuring inside to inside of the metal frame (not the ceramic ring).

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 13, 2014 09:13AM

This may be some thing to look at

[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster