I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

G-Urushi help
Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2014 11:51AM

I have seen photos of a different decorative add on to rods called G- Urushi. Looks pretty nice too. But, I have not seen any write ups on how to do this technique. Does anyone have a tutorial on this. Material list? And how to complete.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: G-Urushi help
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 10, 2014 12:32PM

i googled this up on it

[www.google.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mark Fisher (166.64.1.---)
Date: August 10, 2014 05:23PM

Probably the best instruction I can give on the G-Urushi is to look up the Instagram site of Brent Ikari, satocustomrods. There are some beautiful examples of Brent's works starting right from the basics to the finished product.
Basically, the abalone shell (or whatever you decide to use) is broken up into pieces. Not too big or you will have a big job sanding them back. Glue the shell fragments onto the blank with the rough side up. I use super glue. Then using pigments to colour your epoxy finish. you apply coats of various colours. I usually start with a darker colour but it really doesn't matter. Once it is all dry, I allow about 24 hours, commence sanding it back on a lathe going through various grades of sandpaper from 40 grade right through to about 400. It should take roughly about 15 minutes on average depending on the thickness of the shell. You can also only apply a couple of colours as a base, then sand it half way down, apply some more colour and then continue sanding. The reason you glue the shell on with the rough side up is that the good shell will be closest to the blank and the rest is just limestone. Sand down until you are happy with the colour of the shell coming through the layers of epoxy. Clean the blank and all your fittings up with denatured alcohol and then apply 1-2 coats of clear finish. The colours explode with brightness.There are different techniques to get differing results. No two will ever be the same and they have to be seen in the "flesh" to appreciate the colours and the skill of the builder. Brent Ikari is the best IMHO of this art from. Finally, wear a very good quality breathing mask as the shell dust can be carcinogenic.

Best Regards
Mark
Outback Rods

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: August 11, 2014 11:59AM

Bill and Mark, thank you for the replies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster