I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

first two piece rod
Posted by: Ralph Ratliff (---.dhcp.gsvl.ga.charter.com)
Date: August 03, 2014 03:36PM

I have been asked to build a two piece rod for the first time. It will be used mainly for bass. I am looking at using MB 842-2-MHX or SJ842-2-MHX blanks. Any suggestions or cautions are appreciated.

Ralph

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: first two piece rod
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 03, 2014 06:16PM

Two piece rods are easier for me than one piece since I don't use a lathe; I use a manual winding "platform" that I made, and two piece is easier. I can think of no special precautions relative to two piece. One nice thing to include in a two piece is putting dots onto the blank at the ferrule to make alingnment of the pieces easier. Decal Connection has dot decals that are nice, and the Rodbuilers Magazine had an article a couple years ago about a tool to make dots pretty easy. It is not universally agreed as to the need for it, but wrapping the female ferrule with about 3/8 inch of thread for reinforcement is easy and good insurance against failure of that ferrule.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2014 08:13PM

two pieced rod blanks are built on two separate mandrels at the factory and then fitted to each other. sometimes there may be a slight curve in either one or both sections. Loosely assemble the blank and sight down it and rotate the upper section until you find where the blank is in the straightest axis. Mark both sections with masking tape and a marker, and then make your build on those marks.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 03, 2014 09:21PM

The SJ's are usually a tad faster and perhaps a tad less powerful than the MB's. Someone at Mudhole could dial you in on the differences in their blanks.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: August 04, 2014 07:25AM

Be sure to wrap the female section of the ferrule. When a blank is at rest it is round. When it is under load the round shape of the blank changes to a kind of oval shape. Failure to wrap the ferrule will cause cracking and splitting over time of the edge of the female end of the ferrule. This will cause a catastrophic failure of the blank and also void most warranties. Usually 2 times the circumference of the blank should be long enough. Of course put finish over the wraps. Good luck and good building. Buzz

Posted by: Ralph Ratliff (---.dhcp.gsvl.ga.charter.com)
Date: August 04, 2014 02:13PM

Thanks for all the good advice. It sure is good to see that after being away for several years Tom's site is still as good as ever.
Thanks again.
rhr

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: August 05, 2014 08:13PM

DO ABOUT 2 TO 2.5 X THE DIAMATOR FOR THE WRAP. AN CLOSE TO THE END.
BUT 1/16 INCH UP WILL NOT CAUSE A PROBLEM AN THE WRAP WILL NOT COME OFF ON YOU .

William Sidney
AK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster