I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Private Lessons?
Posted by: Carlos Saravia (---.clt.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 07, 2014 09:36PM

Hello,

I know this is kind of an odd post and if it's against the board's rules, I will gladly ask a moderator to remove it.

That being said, I would be interested in getting some private lessons on rod-building. It is probably my biggest curse in life; if I find myself getting good or interested in something, I always have to go that extra mile. While I would love to take the time to learn some of the more nitty gritty details on my own, I am currently a second year law student and I am approaching my dreaded third year. I have an internship in Washington D.C. next year and I just won't have much time to build over the next year.

I am off for the summer, however and do have the time to learn now. I would be interested in basic EVA shaping, static deflection tests, applying finish, and maybe some simple in-lay threads. I have four rods to my name, have read plenty of books, boards, and watched videos. I am not a beginner by any means and can provide some photos of my work to show you where I am at. I am just looking to go that extra step!

I am not interested in doing this as a profession and I would not be taking away any of your business. I strictly build rods for myself, my wife, and have plans to build for no cost, simply because i love it, to one or two friends. I would be willing to sign a non-compete. In fact, my plans right now are to move to New Orleans to practice admiralty. I am also more than willing to compensate you for your time, as I know some of you guys here are professionals and actually do this for a living. Anyway, please let me know if we can work something out. I have gotten some great advice from this board, but I think there are some things that are better learned in person.

I live in Burlington, NC, travel to Greensboro frequently and can even drive to the Raleigh-Durham area if needed.

Thank you for your time and consideration!!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2014 09:53PM by Carlos Saravia.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Private Lessons?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 07, 2014 09:43PM

Are you aware, that the largest rod building event in the world, the very very largest, is in Winston Salem in February each year?

www.rodexpo.com

Beyond that, you're apt to get some responses from very good rod builders in the area.

Posted by: Carlos Saravia (---.clt.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 07, 2014 09:51PM

Yup! I have gone the past two years in a row ever since I got into it! I went with a friend the first year and that's when I got hooked. I mostly have just browsed around the event and talked to some of the people I have purchased components from. Everyone was extremely nice and offered me a lot of advice when I asked. Mudhole, Batson, Get Bit Outdoors, and Pac Bay, however, all went out of their way to answer all my questions, no matter how trivial or novice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2014 09:54PM by Carlos Saravia.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 07, 2014 09:54PM

You might start here:

[www.tackleworks.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster