I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Line Wt. Range & Lure Wt. Range for an "unknown" fishing rod or rod blank ?
Posted by: Dave Fitch (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 05, 2014 04:49PM

How can you determine the Line Wt. Range & Lure Wt. Range for an "unknown" fishing rod or rod blank that is "completely unmarked", with no clue as to make or model ?

Thanks, in advance !

"Fishing is our Handshake, our Language. A Heritage that binds us together. A Passage our fathers took. A Journey that lasts a lifetime, that we have begun again with our sons and daughters." George "Gowge" Pope

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Line Wt. Range & Lure Wt. Range for an "unknown" fishing rod or rod blank ?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 05, 2014 05:29PM

Line weight range is purely subjective. There is no standard for that. Lure weight range can be obtain through trial and error, or the Universal Rod Rating System portion of the Common Cents System.

Date: July 05, 2014 05:44PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Line weight range is purely subjective. There is
> no standard for that. Lure weight range can be
> obtain through trial and error, or the Universal
> Rod Rating System portion of the Common Cents
> System.
>
> ...................

Tom,

I wasn't thinking in terms of "manufacturer's ratings", but in real-world lb-test usage.

"Fishing is our Handshake, our Language. A Heritage that binds us together. A Passage our fathers took. A Journey that lasts a lifetime, that we have begun again with our sons and daughters." George "Gowge" Pope

Date: July 05, 2014 06:10PM

There is no test or method for determining lb test usage. In fact, not all 10lb test lines, for example, have the same breaking strength. So for the most part, it can't be done.

In some cases a few manufacturers rated lines based on the actual deadlifting capability or failure point of the blank. In other words, if they said the rod was rated for use with up to 20lb line (class) then the line would be expected to break before the rod did. Sadly, the only way for you to ascertain such a rating for your blank is to break it, record the deadlift in pounds that broke it, and then you'd know what line is safe to use with it. But of course, at that point your rod is already broken.

Date: July 05, 2014 07:01PM

There has to be a better method . . .

Thanks.

Date: July 05, 2014 07:31PM

If you find one, let us know. That's how the manufacturers did it, but then, they have lots of blanks they can break to find out.

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: July 06, 2014 09:32AM

It looks to me like the factories just select a line size based on what they think the blank is going to be used for. So something that is designed for throwing spinner baits to largemouth bass is going to carry a rating of maybe 8 to 17 pound line. Not something like 30 to 40 line. A heavy surf rod is going to carry a rating of maybe 20 to 40 pound line, not something like 6 to 12 line. It's just a reasonable guess and recommendation. Not anything that you have to follow or adhere to. The blank will never know what size line you have on it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2014 10:56AM

I would suggest that you just compare the unknown blank to 20 or 30 known blanks for power, blank size, etc.

i.e. a given rod of a given length, butt size, tip size and speed, has a typical rating of x.

If you can find a blank that is very similar to the unknown blank you have your answer.

Also, I just think that common fishing sense will tend to answer most of your questions.

i.e. small diameter low power rods will not carry as much weight or line as a rod that is stiffer, has more power and is of a larger diameter.

Good luck

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 06, 2014 11:30AM

To what Roger said I'd add weight of the blank. Some blanks are small diameter, thick walled and some aren't.

I once asked one of the big names about dead lift capacity. They pretty much said off shore blanks could be expected to deadlift near their actual rating. They also said if they offered bass blanks that did nobody would buy them; as they would be judged to heavy in weight.

A quick glance at specs will show that a salt water rated blank (of the same line class as a freshwater blank) will weigh more. Does that imply one is falsely rated?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jim Allen (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 06, 2014 12:33PM

I took a two section casting blank and decided to experiment and buit it into a fly rod and it likes 7 and 8 wt line very well.I built it with out the common cents system just to see what the out come would be.It works perfect for the small river steel head fishing were there isnt alot of room.
I would build the rod and let it tell you.You can always compare it to othe rods of the same length and action to get a ball park idea of what it will do,as Roger pointed out.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2014 02:29PM

The key here is to set the drag well below the braking strength of the line you use, As far as lure weight take the thing out and cast it with different wt.s of practice lures. Otherwise you are just guessing. If the lure is too heavy you will have excessive bend in the blank/rod before you even attempt to cast it.. Start light and work up. If you lock the reel drag down all the way you will more than likely break the rod.

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 07, 2014 02:54AM

I would take the tip size and butt size like said before and get an idea of what line it could handle. Its going to be a very large range. Then cut out the bottom 1/8 and top 1/4 of the range. With a reel with a properly set drag I would be comfortable fishing the rod all day in this range.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster