I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cleaning blank
Posted by: jack black (172.242.166.---)
Date: July 01, 2014 05:12PM

hi guys. I have a favorite uncle that is very close to me. he is 97 and in hospice, was an avid fisherman all his life. I want to send the family a rod I built to be placed in his casket IF they agree. I want to sign etc the rod and coat that before I send it to the family (his kids, my cousins). the rod is a light spinning rod, several years old, never used, my "flagship" rod. I sell a few every year where I live. mesquite handles from my backyard. ANYWAY.... my thought is to clean the space to be signed w/rubbing alcohol, make sure it is bone dry, sign it and coat it. yes/no? I don't have much time so would love to get some quick responses. also....shipping. when I ship a rod I wrap it in newspaper and stick it in a PVC tube and seal both ends. that how you pros do it? any suggestions appreciated!

THANKS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cleaning blank
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2014 05:36PM

--------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2014 05:47PM by roger wilson.

Date: July 01, 2014 06:35PM

all I see is a blank page for the reply from roger Wilson. am I missing something?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2014 06:55PM

I made a suggestion, but changed my mind and erased my comment.

Be safe

Date: July 01, 2014 07:00PM

well.........would still like to hear it! I have a thick skin. could you PM it to me?

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.sub-174-239-35.myvzw.com)
Date: July 01, 2014 11:30PM

I scuff it with scotch brite then sign it with testors model paint. Let dry and finish.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: July 01, 2014 11:55PM

I also scuff it slightly with a scotch brite pad, wipe it with denatured alcohol, sign it with Speedball acrylic ink and a calligrapher's pen, let dry, coat it with a coat of your favorite epoxy finish. Depending on the diameter of the rod at it's widest point, usually where your largest guide is, you can either ship it in a PVC tube with caps on each end, or a 4" diameter cardboard tube with caps.Cardboard tubes can be hard to find and can be expensive. I enclose the rods I ship in foam pipe insulation with masking tape, leaving ~3" extra at the top which I bend over and tape to protect the tip top. You can then use whatever you like to take up the space around the rod so it doesn't rattle around inside the tube. Tape the caps on with nylon filament tape. Usually, if it doesn't move around it doesn't get damaged unless the baggage monkeys use it for a javelin.

Date: July 02, 2014 08:54AM

thank you! I build a few rods (40)? a year but don't sign em/ship em so needed the advice. about the scuffing slightly? I do that too to the blank before rod bonding on the handles but it generally leaves a dull finish. that won't show up on the signed part of the blank? was told on the phone last night when told about the rod he really lit up. I had knee surgery last week or I might have gone seen him. anyway, thanks again.

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.sub-174-239-35.myvzw.com)
Date: July 02, 2014 09:03AM

Once you put finish on it shines back. up..

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 02, 2014 09:05AM

scuff; sign; cover with thread epoxy & call it 'all good'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster