I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

failure help
Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2014 06:18PM

I was out fishing hooked up a 20 pound shark .i was raising up on rod with a lot of power for the mate ot get ahold of the leader when bang the rod and line broke don"t know if the line broke first or the rod. The line broke away from the break in the rod .The rod blank was a graphite blank don't have any other info on it .The break was between guides it has a angle going from the bottom to the top where the top is longer. This was a boat rod set up with the spine on the bottom.

MY question is with the rod bent down with all that pressure on it and if the line broke first would the recoil of the rod make the blank snap????

when it snapped the captain heard it i the wheelhouse and the mate and I were in shock and ask each other if we were ok. Lost top half of rod overboard and the shark didn't get released the right way.

The other bad part did I get Bust on by some of the regulars on the boat

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: failure help
Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: May 22, 2014 06:42PM

Yes, that is what can happen when the line breaks and the blank is under max or near-max stress. We have a large enclosed blank testing/destroying machine that flexes blanks for testing/entertainment purposes. Sometimes when the line or the butt section gives way under heavy load the blank will subsequently break in multiple other places from the sudden energy release. We have some slow motion video of it somewhere. If most blanks are not high-sticked, they will, when under steadily increasing pressure always flex all the way into the butt section and break near the fulcrum regardless of their action/taper.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 22, 2014 06:43PM

You do not mention the type of line. If it is a type that may cut easily, it may well have cut after the break on the sharp edge of the break.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2014 06:50PM

Sounds like the drag was set too tight for the line, the rod, or both.

Date: May 22, 2014 08:09PM

the line was 30lbs spider wire on a penn 310 GTI

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2014 08:50PM

."i was raising up on rod with a lot of power for the mate ot get ahold of the leader when bang the rod and line broke" ..."it has a angle going from the bottom to the top where the top is longe" To me this sounds like a classic "high stick" maneuver lots of pressure & the rod at an acute angle. Spine on top / spine on the bottom doesn't matter. 20 lb shark / 30lb spiderwire sounds like the line got "clipped" by a sharp edge on the break.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2014 06:16AM

Sounds like a you were on a head boat. Most likely bottom fishing . So lets assume a Bank style sinker was used and when the boat is making a move to another drop the sinker was left attached to the line. During the move the boat may have been unsteady casing the sinker to strike the blank. Now a 20 lb shark on the line and reeled up to the leader that is not that long. Mate WILL not grab braid line as he should know better so you lift the rod tip past the 90 degree point and high stick the rod putting excessive pressure on the smaller tip section and it failed. Just guessing but I have witnessed it several times.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: May 23, 2014 03:35PM

Randolph drag was set at 7lbs checked it with two scales

Ken the line was broken far away from were the rod broke and it is a clean break on the half of rod that i have

Fred I put sinker on the deck when we go to move, mate had put gloves on,

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 23, 2014 04:25PM

I have not read of what Blank or Rod was used
Line ratting LB test Was it over lined
if it broke inbetween the guides Was some one trying to get away with ONE less guide ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 23, 2014 05:11PM

30lb spiderwire (actual breaking strength is above 30) - 7lbs of drag on the reel = simply had to be a high stick with the rod. Since the break is longer on the top of the rod that also suggests (at least to me) a high stick. To me it is unlikely that the line parted first - although that's possible if the shark somehow managed to get at it. Just seems to me that if the line snapped and the blank rebounded the longer piece of remaining blank would be on the bottom of the rod.....

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 23, 2014 05:34PM

What Blank Was Used -- What was the blank rateing ????? If the blank was not rated for the Fish
And was tooooo Light ?????

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 23, 2014 10:07PM

ken what do you mean by high stick?

Date: May 24, 2014 07:11AM

Rod was lifted nearly vertical; tip section (area near the break was 75+ degrees & fish was close to the boat - means there was little "give" from the line (no stretch in spiderwire); the fish made a short/quick run and the rod just couldn't absorb the pressure. This is seen a lot with bass fishermen.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 24, 2014 10:01PM

High sticking is when the rod is raised too far beyond 90 degrees. As stated above it is often done while trying to land a fish close at hand. I have seen fishermen raise a rod to almost 180 degrees, and get away with it, but they were lucky! Carbon fiber rods are not designed to go much beyond 90 degrees when under a heavy and active load!

Date: May 24, 2014 11:20PM

Sorry for the typo "was 75+ degrees & fish was close to the boat" === should have been 175+ degrees..... Missed the "1 "

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster