I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sage ferule wraps
Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: April 29, 2014 08:56AM

I’m building an 11’6” Sage switch rod. To be honest, me being a Bass guy this is the first Sage build for me. With all other fly rods I wrap the ferules. However, I noticed that Sage has the white alignment dots. How do you guys manage them? As info the guy does not want translucent thread work. So wrapping allowing the dots to be seen through the thread is not an option. Do you wrap over the dots and put them back between epoxy coats? Do you move them outside the wrap? Are simply remove them and use the guide alignment method?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sage ferule wraps
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: April 29, 2014 09:26AM

I think Sage is suggesting the axis to place guides on with those dots. You could contact them to check. The dots come off easily with alcohol so they probably are not intended to remain permanently on the rod. I would use the "guide alignment method" and wrap the ferrule and disregard the dots if they are not on the straightest axis.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 29, 2014 12:38PM

you can do what you want, but SAGE marks the strightest part of the blank an that is how they build there rods, it works for them, I am a follower on some things,
I would put the guides on the dot line , they are an excelent rod MFG. so why change? but you can, it is up to you, it is your rod, you will be the one to use it ,
if I am correct they even give you the guide spacing for all there rods on there web site , SID

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 29, 2014 01:29PM

Figure it out yourself
Roll the blank on a flat surface and check or put it on your thread wrap rollers turn it and see
Then call them to make sure there are no Warrentee issues if you take them off and wrap the ferural

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 29, 2014 02:35PM

It's not necessary to leave the marks on the rod - Sage doesn't.

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: April 29, 2014 03:11PM

The dots come away with a quick fingernail scrape. I'm doing a gear rod blank from Sage, and I'm opting to put the dots down, rather than up. Down permits the factory silkscreen info to be on the right hand side of the blank, visible, instead of invisible, underneath the blank, if the dots were up. (Pin rod, reel underslung).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 03:14PM by Ken Driedger.

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 29, 2014 09:43PM

Like others said this isn't an alignment dot its just so you know where the spine of the rod is. They want you to build on that side of the blank. They would never know if you didn't. So build it how you like to.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 29, 2014 09:58PM

Not the spine, the straightest axis.

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 29, 2014 11:33PM

Sorry Tom's right straightest axis not spine from there website: The white dots on each section indicate the straightest axis of the blank; we recommend aligning each section, dot to dot then place the guides on the dotted line

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: May 02, 2014 12:36PM

Thanks guys for the help. You guys never cease to amaze me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster