I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MicroWave casting spacing question
Posted by: Cory Leiman (207.195.86.---)
Date: April 28, 2014 10:27PM

I am new to rod building so please bare with me.I am building a 7' baitcaster rod using the Microwave guide system.the blank is a St. Croix Med.- Heavy power Med. action 10-20 lb. 3/8-1oz.blank.When I used the spacing provided and tested it I get line contact with the blank to about five guides back from the tip.I have changed the spacing of the guides and it did help to some degree but I still get contact with the blank between the tip and first guide and is really close running to the second guide.I think I should ad a guide but thought I post my question and see if others could inform me of their thoughts.I did test cast the rod and it seems to cast fine.your thoughts please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MicroWave casting spacing question
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 28, 2014 11:25PM

Cory,

When I used the microwave casting guide system I found I had to add an additional guide to keep the line off of the blank. This was on a seven foot rod as well. I had some extra running guides so it wasn't a problem. Mudhole sells extra running guides for the microwave guide system.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2014 11:26PM by Donald R Campbell.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: April 28, 2014 11:50PM

G'Day Cory I do the same as Don .I just follow the spacing instructions that comes with the guide set & then add running guides until I am happy with the line shape when loaded

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Cory Leiman (207.195.86.---)
Date: April 29, 2014 12:06AM

thanks guys ,I figured I was on the rite track but figured I would put a post on a see what I got for feedback.Looks like I will add a guide .thanks again

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.245.---)
Date: April 29, 2014 08:37AM

Do a spiral wrap, and contact will not be an issue. :) I have just finished a spiral casting setup an will be testing it this weekend on the Detroit River.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: April 29, 2014 11:23AM

Chris Richer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do a spiral wrap, and contact will not be an
> issue. :) I have just finished a spiral casting
> setup an will be testing it this weekend on the
> Detroit River.

Chris,

I personally think a spiral warp works great and it eliminates the requirement to add additional guides to keep the line off of the blank. I just don't know how a spiral wrap would work with a Microwave Casting Guide set. I have built myself, (and several customers) spiral wraps and I / they love them; but most of my customers can't get their "head around" a spiral wrap. This was told to me by a friend who had me replace a couple of guides on his jig rod. To surprise him, I stripped all of the guides off of his jig rod and did a spiral wrap on it. He fished with it for about a month then gave it back to me and asked me to re-wrap it straight up. That was a lot of work and I had made the mistake of doing it without asking him first. Lesson learned! I know the rod cast better / further and was better with fighting a fish; but he was just too old school to get his "head around it"!

Don Campbell

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 29, 2014 11:53AM

For a casting rod I can not see the microwave guides ?? The line comes off the reel ( streight ) and there are no PigTails to have to controll as on a spinning rod if the line hits the blank just move the butt guide closer to the reel But Still ??
I would use two or three double foot guides to get to the 180 Then single foot as runners Less weight
Set the size of the butt guide to keep the line off the hand on the foregrip

i can not see why the guides can not be used in a spiral fashion just as long as there is no side pressure on any guide under pressure Give it a shot and let us know how it works out

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 06:02PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2014 01:19AM

Donald,
You made the statement -
I know the rod cast better / further and was better with fighting a fish".

Remember, this is your opinion, not the opinion of your customer.

Actually for several different types of fishing, I agree 100% with this statement.

But, for several other types of fishing, I disagree 100% with this statement. I suspect that your customer was using the rod in one of the same catagories that I prefer NOT to use a spiral wrapped casting rod.

As the saying goes, " apples aren't for everyone". "However, everyone can eat apples."

So, even though a spiral wrapped casting rod can be used for every type of fishing does not make it the best rod for every application in the eyes of the user.

This is one of the reasons that we say "be build CUSTOM rods". i.e. We build rods for clients and are built in exactly the way that the client's want them.

For example, there are a huge number of fishermen in the world who would absolutely never ever want a rod wrapped with either Micros, or in a spiral fashion. This does not make them right or wrong. It just makes them people who have a specific preference in their fishing rod wishes.

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2014 01:20AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 30, 2014 07:24AM

Roger is correct
i should have added that
Find out from the customer if he likes and or wants it as a spiral And if he has used it when fishing
His Rod

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 30, 2014 10:07AM

Roger,

I'm curious to know which fishing categories you "prefer NOT to use a spiral wrapped casting rod". Care to divulge those and why?

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Date: April 30, 2014 11:19AM

Roger & Bill,

You are both right. The guy I did the spiral wrap for was/is a buddy. I had been doing spiral warps for about a year or so and was sure he would love one too! He was not in to it and on a jig rod it probably didn't gain him anything of importance.

Roger well put..."apples aren't for everyone". "However, everyone can eat apples." !

Don Campbell

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster