I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

micro guide number
Posted by: robert kravic (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: April 27, 2014 05:16PM

my friend is building some rods to sell and is thinking of putting the guides all on top like factory rods. he asked my advice on how many guides to use and as i haven't built one in like 20 years i'm not sure. he said he taped on 10 using size 4 runners and it rubbed the blank so i was wondering how many micro guides do you guys put on a 7' mh baitcaster and is it okay if the line touches the blank when loaded. thanx

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: micro guide number
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 27, 2014 09:17PM

With such low frame guides, you may need to use a few more than what you're accustomed to. The line touching the blank isn't a big deal, but you wouldn't want the line actually passing below the bottom of the blank under load. On a 7 foot baitcasting rod with very small, low frame guides, don't be surprised if you need 10 to 12 guides. But due to their very light weight, it's okay. There isn't much of a weight penalty to pay.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2014 02:39AM

Robert,
Go ahead and use the number of guides that suit you and any clients.

The general feeling with low frame micro guides that it is not a big deal for the line to rub on the blank, or even be below the blank. Just be sure that the blank is uniformly loaded.

Remember, the rod isn't bent on casting so the line will not rub on the blank during casts.

Also, when landing a fish, normally most folks use a pump and reel technique, so normally the line does not really rub on the blank, it just comes in contact with the blank.

Your choice.

Be safe

Date: April 28, 2014 08:02AM

thanks guys, as we just started selling a few rods my friend thinks a baitcaster would be more likely to sell by appealing to more people with the guides on top versus being spiral wrapped.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: April 28, 2014 09:11AM

Robert: you are sort of right on that appealing to more people with guides on top.
But then you are in competition with big box store.

If you intend to sell rods for profit and for any length of time, your friend may need to look for a different type of client.
You cannot compete with the big box stores as a custom builder.

But big box in turn cannot provide rods for the guy who knows he needs a spiral wrap or other specialized cutom build.
Local maangers at a big box store in my town use my rods,with their in store discount they can buy their stocked product cheaper than you can get the parts......

2c worth and probably overpriced at that.

Date: May 01, 2014 07:48AM

good stuff to think about. my friend has a couple 843 imx blanks and he is going to build one spiral wrapped and the other he built with the guides on top (by the way he put on 11 kr's and says it doesn't touch the blank). his plan is to put both for sale online which rhymes with ehey and see which sells first.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 01, 2014 11:51AM

make sure he puts a Reserve Price or he may have to sell it for next to nothing

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 02, 2014 08:28AM

these rods are no slouches what with the imx blanks, fuji titanium sics and custom made carbon fiber handles he's probably at least 150 if not 200 into each one not including labor. what do you think its worth in todays market online?

Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: May 03, 2014 04:44AM

Hi Robert,

Where is he going to sell these? Do you have any pictures?

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Date: May 03, 2014 09:08AM

he is going to try to sell them on the bay. i was wrong as i guess the conventional wrap has a cork handle. he's just wrapping the guides on the spiral today which has the carbon split handle so i'll have him send you some pics tomorrow and maybe you can tell me what they are worth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster