I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

multiple chevrons
Posted by: Greg Calkins (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 26, 2014 11:17AM

I want to try to do chevrons on 4 axis's but don't know how to start. all help is appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: multiple chevrons
Posted by: Jeremy Merkel (---.tmodns.net)
Date: April 26, 2014 01:25PM

Dale Clemens book " Custom Rod Thread Art," is really helpful for this stuff, and I recommend investing in it.

To find the 4 axes:
Measure the circumference using tape. Take the circumference and divide by 4, ie 32mm circumference would be 8mm spacing. This is one way to find where to mark the 4 different axes on the blank sit. Make marks on the tape this distance and wrap onto blank making sure you line up a mark on the 0 degree axis. Make your marks for each axis. You can use this method for 6 and 8 axes as well.

To find spacing for your marks:
For the 0 and 180 axis, make marks every 1/2 circumference, ex. 32mm circumference would be 16mm marks. For the 90 and 270 axis the first mark is 1/4 circumference then 1/2 until the last mark which is 1/4 again. Ex. 32mm circumference would be 8mm mark for the first mark, then 16mm until the last mark which is 8mm again.

It is a lot of math and one mistake will mess up everything. The above mentioned book does a much better job explaining and if you don't have single wraps down before trying it can be very frustrating. A butt wrap tool also makes the process much easier.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 26, 2014 02:52PM

I would suggest this book All of the wraps give step by step on how to do them

[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: April 28, 2014 10:06AM

Greg,

I'm going to make the assumption that you know how to lay out a 2-axis crosswrap like the chevron you mentioned.. If you can do this, it is very simple to turn this into a 4-axis wrap. On a two-axis wrap you will lay out, for instance, marks on the 0-axis at 1, 3, 5, and 7 inches and on the 180-axis marks at 2, 4, and 6 inches. Now to convert this to a 4-axis wrap mark the same points but on the opposite side of the blank starting at the 180-axis with 1, 3, 5, and 7" and then the 0-axis at 2, 4, and 6. (Note that you will calculate the actual spacing, I'm just using convenient whole numbers for the instructions)

Now where the thread from the 0-axis and 180-axis spirals and crosses on the 90-axis and 270-axis is half way between 0-axis and 180-axis. So on the 90-axis and 270-axis you would have marks at 1.5, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, 5.5, and 6.5 inches.

In summary layout a complete 0/180 spacing on the 0-axis, then turn it over and do the same on the 180-axis. Then mark the midpoints on the 90 and 270 and you'll be good to go.

A two-axis wrap is laid out on the 0-axis with intermediate points falling in between on the 180-axis.
A four-axis wrap is laid out on the 0-axis and 180-axis with intermediate points falling in between on the 90-axis and the 270-axis.
A six-axis wrap is laid out on the 0-axis, 120-axis, and 240-axis with intermediate points falling in between on the 60-axis, 180-axis, and the 300-axis.
A eight-axis wrap is laid out on the 0-axis, 90-axis, 180-axis, and 270-axis with intermediate points falling in between on the 45-axis, 135-axis, 225-axis, and the 315-axis.

Years ago,when I was young and foolish, I decorated a set of aluminum outriggers with 10-axis closed split diamond and inside cross box wrap (pretty simple wrap, nothing too fancy) on the smaller diameter center outriggers, and 12-axis on the larger side riggers that had a pretty hefty base pole diameter. The wraps were 30 and 36" long . I think I used a few 4oz spools of thread on them. The layout followed the same technique on incremental 72/36-axis and 60/30-axis.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2014 01:40PM by John E Powell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster