I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

need help with handle
Posted by: Daniel Peterson (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 14, 2014 10:41AM

I am finishing up a spinning rod with a two piece handle. The rear handle will have a marble inserted in the very end (butt) and it will stick out a little but most of it will be below the end. I will epoxy it in but then I want to coat it with finish epoxy to seal it up and protect it. The rod is one piece 7' long. How do I put the epoxy on with out it pooling up around the bottom and not covering the top part of the marble. I think if I put it in my rod dryer horizontal it will run off the top of the marble and I could hang it vertical over the stairs but I think it would pool around the base of the marble. Guess I should have figured this out beforehand. Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: need help with handle
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2014 10:50AM

Daniel,
You can take a piece of wax paper and wrap the wax paper tightly around the base to from a resin dam.

Then, hang the pole perfectly vertical.
With the handle end properly prepared, just pout the resin into the wax paper dam with the exact correct amount of resin and let it harden.
Remove the wax paper and you will be good to go.

If you wish, you can then use fine sand paper to sand a very slight contour into the edge of the resin to help prevent any chipping.

Note:
When I say the exact correct amount of resin, I mean that you want the correct amount of resin to cover the marble and the amount extra that you want to use to cover the rest of the butt cap.

Be safe

Posted by: Don O'Neil (---.dhcp.asfd.ct.charter.com)
Date: April 14, 2014 10:57AM

Several very thin coats. Let the epoxy set up slightly to thicken it enough to slow its desire to run.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2014 11:21AM

Daniel,
Rather than using finishing epoxy for this job, use casting resin.

Casting resin is the material that is used on bar tops and other transparent finishes. This is designed to be used in a single casting.

[www.dickblick.com]

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2014 02:52PM

If not all of the guides are on the new rod, take a piece of scrap rod, or an old piece of blank and lock it in the chuck.
Mask the tip of the new rod and insert it into the scrap blank. If they make a tight fit, mask up the good blank in the area of the junction.
If not, make a tape arbor to give yourself a good fit. Apply your finish while your rod turns backwards.
If the rod guides are on, remove the tip and do the same thing, on a small scale.
This isn't ideal, but you can apply the finish carefully and you only need to turn the rod at drying speed.
If that doesn't appeal to you...
Put the rod on the stands backward and apply the finish. Turn the rod every few minutes for an hour.
At some point the rod will be dry enough to put the handle partly into the chuck and finish drying it that way.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2014 03:06PM by Garry Thornton.

Date: April 14, 2014 03:32PM

Can you buff out Flex Coat with a buffing wheel?

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.105.81.---)
Date: April 14, 2014 05:42PM

If I understand your question correctly you're trying to seal the marble to the butt and are worried about uneven coverage at the "seam" between the butt and the marble. You don't need to coat the marble to protect it as it is harder than epoxy. I suggest you use fast set rod bond or equivalent and use your fingertip to put the epoxy where you want it, then clean up with a paper towel wet with alcohol to leave the paste only in the seam where you want it and not on the butt or the marble's exposed surface. The paste epoxy will not run and collect heavier in one position than the other, and you can have the cork or whatever the material is clean, and the exposed surface of the marble clean, and yet the interface is filled with epoxy.

Date: April 14, 2014 06:00PM

What I am trying to do is cover the marble with epoxy. The marble has a logo on it and will come off if rubbed to hard, I also want to seal the area around the marble and the composite handle. I want to coat the marble but don't know how to keep it all from running off.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: April 14, 2014 06:46PM

Put the butt grip on last, from the back end. When I have put stuff in butt grips, I stand it vertical, butt facing up, and put finish over my item. There are several on here that have done pennies, etc, you can find in the photo sections. It's just that you have to slide the grip on from the rear.

Date: April 14, 2014 07:55PM

If you need the marble covered in epoxy, then I think you'll have to stand it vertical. You can wait a while to get the epoxy more viscous than normal to help keep it in place.

Date: April 14, 2014 07:55PM

If you need the marble covered in epoxy, then I think you'll have to stand it vertical. You can wait a while to get the epoxy more viscous than normal to help keep it in place.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster