I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Calstar GF 900M,900L Thoughts on guide spacings / configuration for O/H and spinning .
Posted by: Eric Warren (1.126.85.---)
Date: March 28, 2014 10:44PM

Hello rodbuilders ,I've just purchased 2 GF900M and 1 GF900L blanks . They will be used for Rock fishing for fish up to 50llb .1 medium is for spinning and the other will be for an overhead reel , I havent decided on the 900L set up as yet . I'd be intersted in any thoughts from rod builders with thoughts on configuration , spacings , guide type for braided and mono line . Any other imput or advice would be fantastic !.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Calstar GF 900M,900L Thoughts on guide spacings / configuration for O/H and spinning .
Date: March 30, 2014 06:40AM

Regarding lining up the spine of the rod im not to sure whether to wrap the rod off the bone for extra strength or wrap it off the bone and tell the buyer his new $450 rod would over time develop a twist and the twist could effect the top 3 or 4 guides weakening the wraps or the guides . Any suggestions, idea's or thoughts anyone ?

Re: Calstar GF 900M,900L Thoughts on guide spacings / configuration for O/H and spinning .
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 30, 2014 08:32PM

Spine has nothing to do with rod twist. Guide orientation does. If you put the guides on top, the rod will attempt to twist no matter where you put the spine. The lever arm effect will overcome any spine effect.

Here's something else to consider:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: March 31, 2014 10:58AM

I probaby shouldn't have used the word twist and should
've used the word permenant bend in the tip . I have observed in over 20 years of repairing rods spinning or overhead rods that if the guides are wrapped off the spine the rod will develop a bend after time towards the dominant spine of the rod . With the rod being loaded off this dominant spine the rod twists and can damage wraps and /or guides . The point of the blank that is the strongest maybe off the spine which I dont dispute . I personally dont like a permanent bend in the Rod , especially when I can prevent it . With most rods wrapped this way you can actually feel the rod twisting to find its spine when loaded which is not a good feeling . Have you been reparing and observing used rods for 20+ years or more Tom . I say this respectfull and its a genuine question .

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 01, 2014 10:21AM

No, I've been doing this for closer to 40+ years.

Where you orient the guides on the blank will have nothing to do with any warp developing - that's a separate issue and one that was mainly a problem with older rods made with polyester resins. Regardless, the rod will always attempt to twist so that the guides are facing towards the direction the load is being applied from, regardless of spine. You can't overrule the laws of physics.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 01, 2014 11:04AM

Spiral wrap the casting rods Guides are at the 180 low point No twist

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 08, 2014 08:02AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, I've been doing this for closer to 40+ years.
>
>
> Where you orient the guides on the blank will have
> nothing to do with any warp developing - that's a
> separate issue and one that was mainly a problem
> with older rods made with polyester resins.
> Regardless, the rod will always attempt to twist
> so that the guides are facing towards the
> direction the load is being applied from,
> regardless of spine. You can't overrule the laws
> of physics.
>
> ........
Thanks Tom for your response . On building off the spine the rod underload will try to straighen towards its spine no matter if it is an older rod or a brand new calstar 900m , this force is a fact of physics also . Maybe this force is what makes a blank 6% stronger on the static test done to determine whether a rod is stronger wrapped off spine than that of a rod wrapped on the spine . So my first question still remains relevant . Shall I build so the rod will develop a bend overtime , or shall I line the guides up on the spine and prevent the rod developing a bend or twist in it ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster