I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Questions for Billy Vivona Re: " Decorative Wraps" Book
Posted by: Wiltz M Ledbetter Jr (---.consolidated.net)
Date: March 28, 2014 11:38AM

I have finally gotten around to studying your book. I'm enjoying it, but I do not understand a couple of things and want to ask some questions.

Question 1 - 2nd Paragraph, Page 5 - "Each pass thereafter will be 4 threads per pass (2 for the White cross which is wrapped OUT on both sides, and 2 for the Grey box which is wrapped IN on both sides." I am assuming that you are referring to the St. John's Cross pattern at the top of Page 49 in the example. Shouldn't the words "White cross" read "Grey cross" and the words "Grey box" read "White box"?

Question 2 - 2nd Paragraph, Page 5 - "...7 passes x 4 threads per pass = 28 threads to complete the inner section of the St. John's cross." Your methodology for counting threads is not clear to me. In a preceding sentence, you make it clear that the 1st pass is 3 threads (1 for Grey cross and 2 for White box). If each subsequent pass adds 4 threads, doesn't the total thread count work out to be 29? It may not make any meaningful difference, but it seems that you are not counting the very first Grey thread that forms the cross, but you are counting the White layout threads that form the box. Please tell me what I am missing here.

Question 3 - 2nd Paragraph, Page 5 - "Divide the number of threads per mm into the total number of threads for the St. John's: 4 divided into 27 = 6.75mm." Where does the number "27" come from? You have carried this number "27" on into the next section on determining overall size of individual patterns. I realize that even if this number is 27 or 28 or 29, it won't change the bottom line, but I still want to understand what you are doing.

Question 4 - Page 77, FISH OUTLINE Pattern, Spacing Chart G - Spacing Chart G does not include spacing information for B & C, nor C & D. Is there some reason for this?

Thanks in advance for giving these questions some consideration. Some folks, especially my wife, accuse me of being too darn picky, but I just like to be sure I understand what is going on and your book interests me quite a bit.

Thanks

Wiltz Ledbetter, Jr.
Montgomery, Texas
713-254-5685

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster