I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Spiral Wrapped Rod
Posted by: Peter Richardson (---.range86-128.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 12, 2014 11:37AM

Hello. I would like some advice on the layout on a spiral wrapped rod.
The rod is 30lb. test, 5’ 4” from front of reel to tip top. Fore grip is 12”. Reel, Shimano Tyrnos 12 2 speed.
I put the rod under static test load by tying a line to the tip top with 20lb. load. Then threaded the transition guides on the reel line, temporary taped on the running guides, threaded reel line through running guides and suspended a 1lb. lead on the reel line.
I taped on the transition guides where I thought they should be, but when I put more load on the reel line the stripper guide is pulled sideways. Spiral to the left. Guide pulls to the left.
I’m using 3 guides for the transition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2014 11:45AM by Peter Richardson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral Wrapped Rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2014 12:27PM

That's normal.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2014 12:37PM

Peter,
I just finished a spiral wrapped rod this morning.

When I was setting up the guide train, I tried a few different variations of guide angle.
I finally settled on the guide setup, where I actually rotated the stripper guide about 15-20 degrees in the direction of the spiral of the guide train.

After rotating the stripper guide 15 degrees in the same direction as the spiral, I no longer had any issues with the line rubbing on the guide and causing the blank to twist.

The thing that surprised me a bit was that even even with the stripper guide rotated this much in the direction of the spiral, the line still stacked perfectly on the reel during light and heavy line retrieves.

So, at least for a test, try rotating your stripper guide X degrees. Vary the amount of X or the number of degrees that the stripper rod is rotated and then test the rod both for line letting out, and retrieving, as well as heavy and light line loads as well as blank loads.

By the way, even though I have built many spiral wrapped rods, this was the first spiral wrapped rod where I rotated the stripped guide this much. But the guide rotation certainly took care of the problems that I was seeing, which just happened to be identical to the situation that you mentioned.

It seems that your timing is perfect, since I just took the rod off of the dryer and packed it a bit ago.

Good luck.

Date: March 12, 2014 01:37PM

Thanks Tom. I wasn't sure.
Thanks Roger.
I've just finished work, here in the UK 17.30. I'll try that when I get home.
I've been setting the stripper at 0 or 5 degrees to the right to keep the line centred on the reel.

Date: March 12, 2014 02:35PM

If you offset the guide to the side you're spiraling to, you may lose the ability to keep the line stacked evenly on the reel with a level wind.

Date: March 12, 2014 06:24PM

Tom,
That is one of the things that actually surprised me.

Using a level wind reel, I found that the line stacked perfectly on the rod.

So, I suspect that I will continue to use this rather large stripper offset on the spiral rods that I wrap.

Surprisingly enough, it works very very well.

Be safe

Date: March 12, 2014 06:25PM

Tom,
That is one of the things that actually surprised me.

Using a level wind reel, I found that the line stacked perfectly on the rod.

So, I suspect that I will continue to use this rather large stripper offset on the spiral rods that I wrap.

Surprisingly enough, it works very very well.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 12, 2014 06:47PM

When seting these up I always want the line ( under pressure ) to sit ( on the transition guides) on the bottom of the ring close to the blank Not the side Then the 180's on the bottom away from the blank

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 12, 2014 07:49PM

It's the lure you pull that determines if the level wind reel model you use can continue to stack the line evenly.

Date: March 12, 2014 07:57PM

Tom is correct ( as always )

After you get the guides where you want them Pull out line and retreve it to see how it goes onto the reel
You can then adjust the guides

I had neighbors asking what fish I caught when I tied reel line to a fence and retreved it several times to see how the line went back onto the reel and adjusted them Big fence fish LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 12, 2014 08:07PM

Two guys can use the same spiral wrap set up and the same reel. One will have the line stack evenly and one will have it stack to one side. The difference is the lure they're retrieving.

Do a search for some of Rich Forhan's earlier posts on his Revolver Rod set up.

Date: March 12, 2014 08:22PM

OK Tom
Are you saying the Weight makes a difference
I am thinking if a rod has enough pressure on it to bend it to a 90 would that be enough

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2014 08:25PM by bill boettcher.

Date: March 12, 2014 08:34PM

"Pull" makes a difference.

Date: March 12, 2014 09:41PM

I would think you are saying test casting AND RETREVING will tell the best position for the guides ??
Cause as the line moves though the rings it tends to slide and move to it's position ( of comfort )

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 13, 2014 11:17AM

The reel I'm using dosn't have a level wind, and I won't be casting.
It's for a static bait in 200+ ft of water, lead 4oz to 1 1/2lb. Fishing for conger eels anything from 20lb. to 100+ lb.

I tried Rogers idea of setting the stripper to the left. It definitely helped stop the sideways pull on the guide. I haven't decided which way to go. If I offset to the left I'll have to remember I only have to push the line.
And when I'm fighting a big fish, will I remember.

If I go for 0 degrees is it worth double wrapping the stripper guide for more strength, or maybe all three transition guides?

Date: March 13, 2014 12:04PM

Peter,
It seems to make the most sense to put a guide train on a rod that gives the guides and line the least amount of friction.

Your choice.

Be safe

Date: March 13, 2014 03:58PM

Once you figure out how many guides you want to use Static testing
Go out and test Retrieve the line See where it lays on the reel
Adjust guides for you You will be good to have it a tad to the left and push it over when needed Do this many times to make sure you like it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: March 13, 2014 05:08PM

It seems to me that given this will be a conventional reel without a levelwind and you plan to target such varied sizes of fish on this rod that it should be built in a way that would allow the user to control the line distribution on the reel to match the fight of such varied loads on the rod. To me this would be a left leaning first guide so you could push line to the right which is easier than pulling line to the left.

Date: March 15, 2014 06:43AM

All wrapped up now. I decide to have the first guide about 10 degrees to the left. I quite like just pushing the line with my thumb. I taped on the transition guides, dragged a 14lb. weight up and down the drive way a few times, tweaked the guides a bit. then wrapped them. The rod feels good, even lifting 14lb. dead weight. One problem grrrrrrrrrr, I left off the winding check.

Date: March 15, 2014 09:30AM

Peter,
Easy fix. Just use trim thread to replace the winding check.
Or, you can just use a razor blade, and the winding check.
Then, use instant glue to glue the winding check back onto the rod.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2014 09:32AM by roger wilson.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster