I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

pro paste fast set
Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2014 05:12PM

Just opened a new jar set.of pro paste fast set 15 min Part A was hard had trouble scraping some out put some heat on it and it soften a little mixed it with part B for a test it set up. MY shop is about 60 degrees when i'm not there I only use this one time before and part A seemed to be thicker than the slow set type.But not this thick.

my question is it the room temp

will this be okay to use on rods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pro paste fast set
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2014 05:44PM

Yes, you need to sit the jar in a pan of hot water for about 20 minutes. That should return it to normal consistency. It'll be fine to use.

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2014 07:04PM

Thank you for your Help.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 09, 2014 08:17PM

Hi,

I use the micro wave to soften Part A finish and epoxy.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2014 03:04PM

Any time that finish is too hard, I slip it in the microwave and nuke it for 5 seconds at a time.

Normally 5-20 seconds of microwave time will do an excellent job to soften the glue.

By the way, if you keep your shop at 75 degrees it will be much more comfortable to work.

Be safe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2014 03:08PM

If you don't want to warm your entire work shop, just hang a radiant heater from the ceiling or a couple of heat lamps.

This will give your immediate work area some nice localized heat and keep your finish nice and free flowing.

Be safe

Posted by: Rex Mason (---.sangtx.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2014 04:44PM

part & and Part B is mentioned in putting paste and epoxy into teh microwave/

Is the paste "hardner" part A or Part B?

Same thing for epoxy guide finish materials?

For the epoxy liquid, do you heat only one part or both?

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 10, 2014 05:31PM

Sorry folks I should have been clearer.

I use Rod Bond a two part semi paste epoxy for gluing up butt components to the blank. Part A is the Resin and is white in color.. If it is stored in a location that is too cold for too long
the Resin will get too hard to remove from the container. Therefore I nuke the Part A until it softens. I find this method faster the the other methods.

I use Aftcote two part finish. Part A is the Resin. If left in too cold a location for too long you will see the clear resin turn white and be at the bottom of the container. The Resin is still good after you heat it up and the white part turns clear again.

Part B in both products is the Hardener and I have yet to experience a problem with it. Therefore I only nuke the Resin

I am not a chemist but this condition may be caused crystalizing. A more knowledgeable builder can correct me if I am wrong.

I hope this clarifies my statements.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2014 08:02PM

Simple answer. Do not ever heat part "B" hardener.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2014 12:52AM

Randolph Ruwe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Simple answer. Do not ever heat part "B"
> hardener.

Not disagreeing with you Randolph but Why then does Flex Coat show them heating both bottles in front do a lamp in their instructional video on how to mix and apply finish ?

Tom

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2014 06:48AM

Tom Wewerka Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Randolph Ruwe Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Simple answer. Do not ever heat part "B"
> > hardener.
>
> Not disagreeing with you Randolph but Why then
> does Flex Coat show them heating both bottles in
> front do a lamp in their instructional video on
> how to mix and apply finish ?
>
> Tom
Tom, in the video they are "warming the bottles" not heating. Not really the same as with warming it is a slow low heat increasing the temp only a few degrees where heating is a faster method over a bigger range. This can sometimes effect chemical properties and separate them. Not sure if epoxy has this concern though.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster