I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

saltwater hook keepers
Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.21.---)
Date: March 08, 2014 04:55PM

I would appreciate any comments on salt water capable hook keepers of the sizes compatible with inshore spinning rods/popping rods. My limited experience is that the high quality guides I buy are very corrosion resistant, but the keepers are not. Yes, I know about washing the rods. I have used high quality fly guides for keepers, and they work fine, but would like to know if anyone knows of keepers that are equivalent to high quality guides for corrosion resistance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: saltwater hook keepers
Date: March 08, 2014 05:13PM

I have found reccomendations for the REC RHK keeper, which appears to be the same titanium-nickel alloy as their guides, but cannot find an image. Anyone help? A post on another forum answering the same question said to use a REC guide, which is of course very close to my use of high quality single foot fly guides as keepers.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2014 07:15PM

Michael -
One thing you might consider is using a small size guide - same as the corrosion resistant types you like as a keeper. It will be as resistant as the guides - and match the overall build.

Date: March 08, 2014 09:04PM

Ken , that is exactly what I've done, but they don't look as "refined" as a drop shot keeper or a simple loop keeper. Single foot fly guides that match the guides on the rod actually work as well as any other keepers. Size 5 or 6. They can be bent to have a lower, sleeker profile, too.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 09, 2014 11:19AM

[hydrafishing.com]

The CC finish is designed for saltwater use. Titanium coming.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 09, 2014 01:24PM

Hello Alex.

What is "CC Finish", you said "Titanium coming", so what are the "CC's" made of ??

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 09, 2014 04:02PM

Small REC NiTi snake guides are immune to corrosion, even if you don't wash down your tackle after use in the salt. You may be thoroughly assured that something else will corrode on a salt water rod before an REC snake guide hook keeper does.

Date: March 09, 2014 06:14PM

Regarding the Hydra "designed for salt water" keeper, I was hoping for real experience or something that we all understand as salt water safe, like titanium. I can guarntee you that most stainless keepers are not salt water capable.

Given the endorsement of the REC NiTi snake guides, I think they may be the best option I've heard of. The shape will certainly shed any line that goes over it. Sounds good.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: March 10, 2014 09:19AM

Michael,
I also make inline spinning lures and poppers etc.
i use the stainless steel or titanium wire i have at hand.
Folded double in a sort of S shape with the end flattened out.
Bent through a small jig made with panel pins; i have yet to have one fail.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.108.32.---)
Date: March 10, 2014 04:51PM

But Lou, you have to know that "stainless steel" can be of various compositions, some not very good in salt at all, some quite good. None as good as Titanium. I have never had one fail either, but I've had them show a lot of stain that seeps into the winding. I like the idea of the REC snake. They cost less than $3, which is not expensive for the corrosion resistance and toughness they have, in my opinion.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 11, 2014 07:49PM

Bob -

CC is a coating on stainless. No it's not Ti, but it offers increased protection.

One item of note -

I see more issues with hookkeeper corrosion due to dissimilar metals as opposed to salt related corrosion. Even titanium alloys are subject to galvanic corrosion. Very apparent when hooks are left in keepers long term - regardless of hookkeeper brand.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 12, 2014 07:07PM

Thanks Alix.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: tom mcfee (---.sip.ilm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 13, 2014 03:41PM

I make my own out of 316L tig welding rods .030 and .045 dia and they last forever.

Posted by: Michael Danek (184.11.137.---)
Date: March 13, 2014 05:11PM

Tom, the 316 SS is what the better of the stainless guides are made of (yes, I know, not a corrosion resistant as titanium), higher nickel content, much better than the 304. Please clarify, you get no staining when used in salt, when treated properly, for many years? thanks

Posted by: tom mcfee (---.sip.ilm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 13, 2014 07:02PM

Not sure about the nickel but stainless 316L is low carbon and I get no staining or tarnish using in saltwater in 3 years.Thats a about 2 hundred fishing trips and I don't rinse them as good as I should. I just looked at one, it's 3 years old and there's no rust or tarnish. Looks like I just install it on the rod. I can email a pic if anyone needs one.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.105.87.---)
Date: March 14, 2014 03:17PM

Thanks, Tom, that's the kind of input I was looking for, solid experience. From what I find in looking at the steel specs the only difference between 316 and 316L is the lower carbon in the 316L, which is to reduce problems with welding. Both have the high nickel content that contributes to the better corrosion resistance of 316 over 304.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 05:04PM

Sounds like another thing builders have to worry about

Why not just get rid of the 316 and just have the 316L

The KISS methoud -- lord have mercy

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.105.87.---)
Date: March 14, 2014 10:47PM

The higher carbon level of 316 gives it higher tensile and yield strength, especially over 800F. 316L is not as good for high temp applications like exhaust manifolds but it is better for lower temp applications where welding is involved. That's why welding wire/rods are made of 316L. I doubt if you will find different grades of steel unless there is a good reason for them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster