I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ID too big on Premade cork grips
Posted by: Jeffrey Hanson Jr (---.jcs-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 08:12PM

Hey so I just received in the mail a premade cork grip from an online source where I can't really return it, and its really good quality, but the ID of the grip is way bigger than the OD of my blank... is it possible/advisable to use masking tape bushings inside the cork like I would for a reel seat, or should I just use that grip on a bigger blank and make or buy another grip for this blank??

jh

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2014 08:30PM by Jeffrey Hanson Jr.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ID too big on Premade cork grips
Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2014 09:24PM

If you use arbors be sure you place them close together and use lots of epoxy.
Any voids will feel spongy and the cork can crack there.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2014 09:28PM

Wind heavy thread or cord in a narrow spiral fashion up the blank where you wish the grip to reside. Coat with epoxy and turn/screw the grip into place. You don't want it too snug so size your thread or cord to allow a light, snug fit.

Date: March 07, 2014 10:22PM

thanks guys. I definitely am afraid of weak spots, so I was thinking to make a bunch (10 or so) of evenly spaced 1/8" masking tape arbors to minimize the gaps and such, but I like this cord idea too. the hole in the grip seems to be pretty evenly reamed, so there's a bigger gap between cork and graphite at the tip end of the grip than at the butt end... tom, would it be wise to perhaps double-back on the spiral wrap from the tip end a few inches to snug it up more where the blank has a smaller OD, or will the screw motion mess things up by turning against the grain? also, the gap is between about 1/16 & 1/8 of an inch on either end, and this is a 5wt fly rod blank, any suggestions on a cord material?. this is my second rod, and many thanks for all insight!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2014 10:40PM by Jeffrey Hanson Jr.

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 10:37PM

The type of cord that you would use for tying meat to cook.
has good thickness so not a thousand raps
it absorbs the epoxie well.
and don't forget to prep the blank before you wrap.

Curt

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 10:45PM

PS its called butchers twine

Date: March 07, 2014 10:46PM

awesome curt, thanks

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2014 10:50AM

Jeffery,
Very simple.
Just use masking tape to build up bushings of the appropriate size.

Leave a gap between each bushing and the next one, so that epoxy can go from the blank to the grip.

You will be just fine and it will only take a few minutes to wind up the bushings.

Good luck.

p.s.
As long as you leave a gap between the masking tape bushings for epoxy - you will not have a failure.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 08, 2014 01:48PM

I would'nt be rich, but I might have enough for a down payment on a Prius if someone were to give me a couple of bucks for every reel seat or grip repair I've had to do because of masking tape or cardboard arbors.

Date: March 08, 2014 02:16PM

Grant,
The only reason that masking tape or cardboard arbors fail, is that there has not been a sufficient amount of glue, or glue in the wrong places used.

Having said that, yes many production arbors of all kinds have failed, becuase of insufficient amounts of glue, or glue in the wrong place.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 08, 2014 04:09PM

repairs CAN be done with masking tape
BUT
Wrapped so there are or is room for the glue to adhere to the seat AND the Preped blank
Not solid tape

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2014 07:21PM

Folks -
I'm sorry but I can not for the life of me figure out why anyone would use masking tape for bushings when fiberglass cloth drywall tape is available - or the method Tom & Curt outlined using butcher's cord

Date: March 08, 2014 08:39PM

Pretty simple.
Masking tape is ultra simple to use and especially for thin bushings is much more convenient to use than any other type bushing.

But the good thing about rod building, is that everyone can use what ever method that they choose to make the rods that they build.

As always - be safe

Date: March 08, 2014 08:41PM

Pretty simple.
Masking tape is ultra simple to use and especially for thin bushings is much more convenient to use than any other type bushing.

But the good thing about rod building, is that everyone can use what ever method that they choose to make the rods that they build.

As always - be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 08, 2014 10:15PM

ken

If I have more then say 8 - 10 turns of tape for a snug fit I go reel seat bushings
or as said some kind of twine for a snug fit

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Dave Mariani (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2014 09:22AM

I really like that drywall fiberglass tape suggestion , I'm gonna scrap the masking tape next build and give it a try!

Posted by: jim kuhn (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2014 09:48PM

Seriously - fiberglass drywall tape will always out perform masking tape as long as you fill all gaps with epoxy- it works just like re-bar and cement and will not deteriorate like masking tape does.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster