I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly line vs guide type
Posted by: stanford yerger (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2014 05:06PM

Has anyone ever tested fly rod lines vs guide type?
For example, Cortland vs scientific using ceramic guides.
Does one have an edge on distance?
My gut feeling with all the types of lines, the result would
be very minimal.

Mega thanks in advance, stan yerger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly line vs guide type
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2014 05:13PM

I think you're right. There is very, very little friction between lines and guides. Therefore it's unlikely to make any practical brand to brand difference.

The 3M Sharskin Lines (predated by the Fenwick World Class Lines which were formulated on the same basis) do reduce friction to some extent with their pebbled surface, but I'm still not that even they create any practical difference. Some feel they do, however. Either way, it's not a night and day difference.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 06:38PM

One of the most important things in distance in fly casting is a clean line. More distance can be had by using a little armor all on a cloth and wiping the line down. Ralph O'Quinn used to make a product called Fast Cast. Basically a silicon similar to Armor All. I reduced the friction of the line running through the guides. I haven't seen too much benefit using SIC single foot guides as opposed to snake guides as long as the line was clean for both tests. Confidence in the line you are using is a factor also. If you don't like the line, you probably won't cast well with it.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 08:37PM

Different fly lines have different coatings. I believe Cortland PE+ dressed with Formula 303 is as slippery as any fly line I have encountered. That said, it's technique and not equipment which makes for good fly casting.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 09:30PM

You could spend a lot of time on this experiment with questionable results. There is so little contact between the line and the guides, would seem to make little difference. I used to build more fly rods with ceramic insert guides but could not find any noticeable difference in casting distance. I went back to snakes or SF wire guides depending on rod weight and am happy with those. Most customers don't like the ceramic insert guides so another reason to stay with snakes.

Terry

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 07:19PM

I have to say that I do like the ringed guides for fly rods. It may just be me, but I can feel the increased line speed. It's just a smoother, easier flow for me.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.usar.army.mil)
Date: March 11, 2014 06:03PM

I have found for lighter rods the heavier guides dampen the action of the rod, regardless of casting distence gained this is not a byproduct I can live with.

Clean lines and snakes.

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.midco.net)
Date: March 31, 2014 06:07PM

Just a word about Armoral.......If it is used to often, your line will begin to dry out and crack and eventually break. A perfect example is people who used to use Armoral on their car tires to shine them up, even the highest quality tires began cracking where it was applied. Just MHO.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster