I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anyone here build on a phenix k2 blank?
Posted by: Mike Ortega (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2014 10:37PM

I felt one of the k2's for the first time at the expo this weekend. I like the bottom design (carbon fiber'ish). But the rest of the blank to the tip felt really odd, like it had flaps of graphite facing downward so when I slid my fingers up the blank it kinda grabbed my fingers. If I slid my fingers down the blank it wasn't as grabby but you could still feel the "flaps".

My question to those that have built on this blank, did you have any problems wrapping the guides with these weird "flaps"? It seems like they Might cause the threads to separate and not be able to pack tight?

Also, can that weird textured part of the rod be scuffed down with a 3m pad or is that an integral part of the structure?

Thanks for any help,

-Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone here build on a phenix k2 blank?
Posted by: robert kravic (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 24, 2014 11:00AM

i have built on 2 different k2 blanks and never had a problem wrapping them although i remember wondering about that too when i first got them. i think i got some of the first runs back when they were called T46's and had never felt a blank like that before but after feeling how light they were i didn't care. i hear that the newer ones are being sanded because mine were not and were rougher than mike ditka. i love both my 7-6 jig rods and would not trade them for love or money and just wish i could afford to buy a few more. p.s. my bud has a 7-1 and he just told me yesterday it was his favorite and this is saying something because he is one of those guys who think fishing is just like golf and you need 12 different clubs in my boat.

Re: Anyone here build on a phenix k2 blank?
Posted by: Mike Ortega (8.28.19.---)
Date: February 24, 2014 05:13PM

Thanks for the info Robert.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster