I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

flex coat thread tensioner
Posted by: mike johnson (---.dhcp.unas.wa.charter.com)
Date: February 09, 2014 12:27PM

i bought a thread tensioner from mudhole, made by flexcoat, i havent tried it yet so does the thread wrap all the way around it? 360 or does it go say at a 90 degree? do i have to mount it so it wont turn? i would have to drill a tight hole for it not to turn. thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flex coat thread tensioner
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 09, 2014 12:37PM

You are better to put tension on the spool and not the thread

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.jsbrcmta02.jnboar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 09, 2014 01:42PM

The thread goes between the 2 washers at a 90, and you should have it tight enough in the fixture so the whole thing does not turn.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2014 01:55PM

The tension device is the same as the ones used on sewing machines.
If you have a friend who sews, they can help you get it right...

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2014 05:10PM

I agree with Bill B Tension the Spool NOT the thread, those washers are tough on Metallics

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2014 11:12AM

Mike,
I have built many many rods using the flex coat style thread tension device.
I don't run metallics through the tension device because they don't work.
But for any of the standard nylons, this is a simple easy to use device that virtually never fails.

Just drill a slightly undersized hole in the mouting material and press the tension device into the hole.

it works very very well and never a hassle and it doesn't matter about thread spool size or anything else.

Typically the thread will be lower then run up through a thread guide to the tension device and back out at pretty much the same angle.

Many many thousands of rods are built every year using this device.

Basically all of the sewing in the world is done every day using essentially the same device on every sewing machine in the world. So, it works well and easily.

This is the tension device that I built many years ago and I still use today for building rods. I use a thicker piece of nylon to support the device because it is nice and slippery and slides nicely along the bench top when wrapping.
The tension device base simply rests against the back of the wrapper base and as needed is slid up and down the rod bench while wrapping. Simple, reliable and works very well.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2014 11:16AM by roger wilson.

Date: February 10, 2014 12:19PM

I don't run metallics through the tension device because they don't work.

That is why if you can where ever the spools go if you can change the holder to a small threaded rod and put the tension on there
Even the magnets will work Then use matallics also

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2014 02:24PM

The nice thing about the spring tension device is that you drop the spool on the spool holder, pull the thread through the tension device and start wrapping.

Be safe

Date: February 10, 2014 05:28PM

Yea

But it eats up metallics ?? Not good

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (184.11.142.---)
Date: February 10, 2014 06:46PM

I have never had a problem with that tensioning device on metallic threads. Ever. Ever. Ever. If you have a problem you either have it way too tight, or there is something foreign on the "washers." Most likely, way too tight.

And I've never had a problem on nylons either.

I like it because I can have multiple spools on pegs, and easily switch between them without remounting a spool on a "spool tensioning device" when I change colors. And trying to find the same tension I had before.

Date: February 10, 2014 07:45PM

I have made my own and it works very well
Old picture i now have aluminum instead of the yellow plastic
The plastic did work very well And I can use ant type of thread

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2014 07:50PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Michael Danek (184.11.142.---)
Date: February 11, 2014 08:36PM

I'm sure it works well, but it also looks like it's sort of cumbersome to change spools compared to the flex coat style. Whatever works for each person is what they should use, but to argue that the Flex Coat tensioner doesn't work with metallics is just not true.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster