I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides suggestions for 10.6 rod
Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: February 06, 2014 01:13PM

I am in a process of rebuilding a rod, StCroix 10.6 2 pcs 8-20 lbs. the rod was a factory built with casting guides and seat. I stripped the rod and now cannot decide what guides to use. I refinished one already, same 10.6 but 8-14 lbs spinning. I used Aero 16 reel seat and Fuji K guides for first 3, then size 6 single foot fly runners. I will be using same aero seat, but need help with guides.
What would you guys suggest- microwave or k- frame fuji? Will k-r concept ( or whatever the name is) work for this lenghts? How many runners do i need for both setups?
I use both rods for salmon fishing from pier in river mouth, throwing little cleo type spoons 3/4 oz. line usually is 30 or 40 lbs powerpro or 20 lbs mono. Long rods are needed for distance. This rod will be used with heavier line, probably 40 lbs.
Both rods are about 8 years old if that metters

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides suggestions for 10.6 rod
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2014 01:34PM

Are you planning to keep it as a casting rod or change over to a spinning rod?

Date: February 06, 2014 01:37PM

Spinning. Similar to the first one. Same handle with aero sest. Reels are 4000 series

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 06, 2014 01:44PM

Microwave....you will love them. Will give you a few extra casting yards, are super smooth and super quiet. I put them on 95% of the rods I build now!

Date: February 06, 2014 01:46PM

I put m/w guides on 7 ft am tackle rod. But how will it work on 10.6 and heavy line? How many runners do i need?

Date: February 06, 2014 03:20PM

I have put them on a 10 foot rod using 15# mono. Works great. that one had 10 runners..

I just re-read your post about the 40 # line..... I would not use them in that case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2014 03:23PM by Don Morse.

Date: February 06, 2014 03:41PM

What would be the heaviest line which can be used with m/w? The fish is 20-30 lbs fresh chinook salmon coming from lake Ontario. I can easy manage it with 20 braid or 15 mono. But the real problem with lighter lines are the rocks close to shore and fishing line on the bottom. Lots of snaggings and break offs because of that.

Date: February 06, 2014 03:51PM

I would not use anything heavier than 20#mono personally

Date: February 06, 2014 03:59PM

Thanks. That should work i guess. So, most likely it will be tidal-wave guides with up to 11 runners. If it wont work with heavier line i will use heavier line on other rod.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2014 04:30PM

Since the blank is rated for 8-20# test, I would build it for that range of line. I caught a 50# King salmon on 15# test on the Hoh river here in WA. and a 20# steelhead on 12# test. Your drag setting and how you handle the fish is the key. Go for something in between the minimum and maximum line rating and you will do great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2014 04:32PM by Randolph Ruwe.

Date: February 06, 2014 04:50PM

Handling the fish is not an issue if you can see it. The rod and reel drag will do the work. Fishing is done at night and there lots of rocks. Very difficult to avoid them and not get snagged and lose your lures. With 30-40 braid its much easier to just pull the line by hand and break or straighten the hook.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster