I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KLAG Guide Set Up for Spinning Rod
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: February 06, 2014 04:28PM

Guys just about to start planning for a finesse spinning rod build using a Castaway blank (7' M action). I am planning to use the Fuji KLAG series guides, first time using these guides. Wanted to get your input on the guide size set up using these guides on a 7 foot rod that is light to medium action. Rod will be used for light finesse applications. Any input would be appreciated. I know I may have to tweek the guides to the rod, but looking to see the standard sizes guys are using on a 7 foot rod building with the Fuji KLAG

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KLAG Guide Set Up for Spinning Rod
Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2014 08:36PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Per the above article I tweek the Running guides to the rod and the Reduction guides to the reel.

[anglersresource.net]

The GPS above should help after you decide on the reel you use.

Posted by: Michael Danek (184.11.142.---)
Date: February 07, 2014 05:37PM

A KR CONCEPT rod in 5 quick steps:

1) The stripper is located according to the same formula you've been using for NGC...NO CHANGE (NGC using upsweep i.e. table edge, not 27X in this case).

2) Put a KL-H in that stripper position and go ahead and build a whole NGC train (using KL-H guides) down to the choke point. That will usually be four guides, maybe three. (at this point we will assume you have set up a "nice looking" reduction train with good spacing between the selected guides)

3) Remove the last reduction guide (closest to the choke point, not the stripper) and replace it with a KB 4 or 4.5 (matched to runner size). This is now your new Rapid Choke point.

4) Use a string or a straight edge to shoot a new line from the top of the stripper to the top of the KB you just positioned. Remove all other reduction train guides.

5) Position a KL5.5H on the new line (top edge touching the line just like an NGC set-up) and add one more KL-H of proper height and position between the 5.5 and the stripper. You need to use the 5.5...trust me on this. (In reels with steep upsweep the 5.5 may fall too close to the new choke point. (You may want to work to add a little space here. We will position a 5.5 as close as 4 or so inches to the choke)

6) DONE. KR CONCEPT

The entire reduction train on a KR Rod (3 guides) will weigh less than the stripper in a standard NGC configuration. These rods are so incredibly light and sensitive, especially in the top two thirds you just can't imagine it until you build one and try it. Adding a running guide adds power and they cast smoother, a little further and more accurately, too.
By Jim Ising- Fuji

Posted by: John Shear (199.116.173.---)
Date: February 10, 2014 03:14PM

Michael, I'm just curious why bother creating the full guide train in Step 2 if you're just going to remove the middle ones in Step 4? The middle guides you insert in Step 5 won't be the same locations, will they?

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 10, 2014 05:58PM

The idea behind Rapid Choke is to establish line control quicker than NGC is able to do it, but it still adheres to NGC rules. The stripper for example is still located using NGC rules and the reduction train still creates a bullseye is in NGC. The method described will bring the choke point in RELATIVE TO THE SPOOL AXLE ANGLE and all the other stuff going on in the reduction train. Replacing the last reduction guide with a choke guide will lower things quicker (bring the line down faster) but not in an arbitrary way. Instead it will be a relative shortening of length based on where everything falls in a standard NGC pattern. Fuji has simplified the KR CONCEPT substantially with reduction "groups". We will be explaining it all at the ICRBE and posting revised "universal" KR CONCEPT suggestions on our web site soon.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2014 06:07PM

Why not just use the Microwave guide set up

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: February 11, 2014 08:53AM

I already have the KLAG guides, but maybe next time I will try the microwave guides.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2014 10:20PM

20, 10, 5.5, then size 5 or 4 runners to the tip. Every 7ft rod I build for spinning is set up that way and it has worked very well. I use Kigan ZH guides though. Same height at the KL-H.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster