I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Making Reamers
Posted by: Patrick Praeger (---.satx.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2003 09:02AM

I need to make some reamers for cork handles and am wondering where I can find some low cost material to use for it , I know most use rod blanks , but this seams a little expensive any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Patrick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Making Reamers
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (208.207.43.---)
Date: March 05, 2003 09:14AM

If you don't have any obsolete or broken rods laying around to use for stock, they I would just buy ready-made reamers from one of the suppliers. They sell good reamers for $5-7 each in a variety of diameters. Then, when those wear out (i.e., grit eventually falls off), just buy some abrasive and epoxy and restore them to good as new with some new grit. This is what I have done. You could also find suitable stock at a yard sale I'm sure for a few bucks.

Posted by: patrick lacefield (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 05, 2003 09:18AM

sharon at "all-star rods" sent me some free blank pieces, dont know if they still do that or not? then i bought some of the sand paper sheets that have the peel & stick paper on the back, cut that into 1/2 inch strips and spiral wrapped them on the blank pieces...wooden dow rods should work well too.........patrick lacefield

Posted by: Sharon Johnson (216.201.163.---)
Date: March 05, 2003 09:23AM

Patrick,
I still have some blank pieces available. E-mail me with name and address if you want them.
Sharon Johnson
All Star

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: March 05, 2003 09:47AM

Sharon Johnson,
That is really nice of you.

Posted by: Bill Boettcher (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: March 05, 2003 10:37AM

Also I do believe that Janns Netcraft has the grit to make your own. Check them out. Others may sell it also

Posted by: Troy Chambless (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 05, 2003 11:26AM

At Angler Workshop they sell a 25 foot roll of sanding paper that is 1/2 inch wide. I just took the butt section of an old fishing rod and cleaned off everthing but the handle. Then I glued it on the blank in a spiral fashion. make sure you leave a gap between spirals for that will alow the cork dust to fall out. It will work faster than the razor wands . Now you have a reamer with a handle on it. Actually you could cut the reel seat a butt grip off......Troy

Posted by: Patrick Praeger (---.satx.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2003 11:55AM

Thanks everybody for the response to my Post and especially Sharon from Allstar rods, I will try the glue on grit and the peel and stick sand paper. Once again thanks Patrick

Posted by: MaryLouVandeRiet (---.mesh.net)
Date: March 05, 2003 01:50PM

Gentlemen......
When it boils down to it.......Sharon is just a nice person.....period !!

MaryLou

Posted by: Larry Thomas (4.40.159.---)
Date: March 05, 2003 05:35PM

Forget the glue and grit. It is a royal mess and comes off pretty soon. The spiraled on sand strip is much easier and cleaner. Buy one of the sanding bands made for hobby sanders. Cut it, glue with expoxy at the top. After it is dry, put epoxy on the backing and wind downward very tight. Tie off until it dries.

Begin you winding about 2 inches from the top. This provide a non-cutting pilot to keep you running true.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster