I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

badly "repaired" guide
Posted by: James Zimmerman (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 30, 2014 05:19PM

Hey guys, before I started building my brother had tried to "fix" a couple guides on an old fenwick blank that he really likes. He tried things like superglue and JB weld.. I'm assuming its probably screwed but is there any way that I could get that stuff off? Thinking the superglue may be doable with heat but the JB weld may be a little tougher... hopes aren't high but he asked me about it the other day and I figured I'd ask. First time for everything I suppose!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: badly "repaired" guide
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 30, 2014 05:37PM

Every fenwick blank I have worked on had a finish over the raw blank. So anything your brother did should be "on top" of that finish. The finish typically isn't all that strong/tough.

When removing an old guide I use a sharp razor (knife or blade) and cut through epoxy/string on top of the guide foot. This way I can't cut into the blank. Peel off what you cut with a thumbnail and try to catch the end of the thread used to wrap the guide on. You can generally unwind the thread and it will take the epoxy finish off with it. If need be, lightly clean up the blank where the guide used to be and attach a new guide and apply new finish.

A little heat can help soften old epoxy. Keep in mind I said a "little". I find a file, or emory board, gives me more control than sandpaper if I have to use that to remove stuff. Generally you are better off scraping at right angles to the blank. Work slowly and you should be fine. Getting in a hurry is what gets me into trouble on such things.

Things typically turn out faster/better if you plan from the beginning to replace all guides, often locating them in different places all together, based on 27X/NGC and static testing.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 30, 2014 05:40PM

get all you can with like you said - heat The JB you may have to get a pop siscle stick split it to size and fold sandpaper over it and sand it off is said to be really hard

You can also try Womans nail boards If needed break in half and sand

the heat may just work on it '
Just DO NOT OVERHEAT the blank

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 30, 2014 06:19PM

awesome will definitely give that a shot, definitely need to convince him it needs new guides because that old thing is lookin rough!

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2014 10:14PM

Was it as bad as this?? [www.rodbuilding.org]

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: January 31, 2014 01:59AM

oh boy.. that's special right there LOL

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2014 10:24AM

James keep the faith, we all get them too. These were wrapped with 65lb. braid and Gorilla glue !! Although not as bad as Freds.

Tom

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 10:30AM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.20.---)
Date: January 31, 2014 06:37PM

James, the rod will likely perform better with guides moved like Russell says, but the chances of you getting the finish looking good when you do that is pretty slim, IMHO. Since the improvement will likely be minor I would suggest putting new guides in the same places as the old, but changing the heights and sizes to come as close to a 27X or a fast reduction setup as you can get. The Fenwicks I've seen have such nice color and finish that I would prioritize retaining that over a few percentage points in casting distance. With my proposal the rod will most likely be more sensitive due to lighter running guides, and maybe some improvement in distance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster