I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thinning high build epoxy
Posted by: steven leslie (12.147.224.---)
Date: January 28, 2014 10:51AM

Hello to all , short question here- what is used to thin high build epoxy? Is it easier just to purchase some "low build" as well and just use that on the first coat? Thanks in advance for the replies- Stevereno

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thinning high build epoxy
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2014 10:59AM

You can, although some caution is needed to determine the cure time and the evaporation rate of your thinning solvent. If you use too much solvent, and it doesn't evaporate before the epoxy cures, you can end up with a tacky finish.

I'll thin finish epoxy when I do transparent wraps and have had good luck with both acetone and denatured alcohol. The most I have used with success is 1/3 solvent to 2/3 finish epoxy. I think any more than that and you risk poor curing. In this method, it's important to get good penetration of the silk thread to ensure the clear transparent look. For any other wraps, I don't thin finish at all.

So, if you are looking to make the high build more of a lite version viscosity, then a few drops of DNA could do the trick. I would avoid acetone unless you have good ventilation in your work area. As always, test some on a scrap before you commit to your project and see if it works for you.

Terry

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 28, 2014 11:01AM

Epoxy formulators will tell you that you shouldn't thin any epoxy. Nor should you have to (high build can be applied just as thinly as low build). If, however, you're determined to do it, a few drops of acetone is going to be your best bet. Put one of the component parts in, add a few drops of the solvent, then add the other component part.

Flex Coat, to my knowledge, provided instructions for something along these lines on their website at one time. You might want to check that out.

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.cisco.com)
Date: January 28, 2014 12:53PM

You can also warm the epoxy - that will thin it without adding solvents.

I usually put the bottles in warm/hot water prior to measuring and mixing , then mix and apply.

NOTE: Warming the epoxy will speed the cure process, so work quickly once mixed

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2014 01:09PM

[www.westsystem.com]

I wouldn't thin with a solvent, unless you are going for the threadless look. It doesn't take much to notice a significant effect on the properties of the cured epoxy.

Like Fred, I like to warm my epoxy before I mix. You can also apply your high build and go back and remove as much excess as you want.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2014 01:11PM by Joe Vanfossen.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: January 28, 2014 01:47PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Epoxy formulators will tell you that you shouldn't
> thin any epoxy. Nor should you have to (high build
> can be applied just as thinly as low build). If,
> however, you're determined to do it, a few drops
> of acetone is going to be your best bet. Put one
> of the component parts in, add a few drops of the
> solvent, then add the other component part.
>
> Flex Coat, to my knowledge, provided instructions
> for something along these lines on their website
> at one time. You might want to check that out.
>
> .............

Additionally, I was warned by my supplier of thread, adding alcohol to epoxy may cause premature fading of thread. No time period was specified. I was wanting thinner epoxy when using nylon over metallic thread.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2014 02:18PM

Steven,
Basically a thinner is a "diluant" (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/diluent)

The very important factor of a thinner or diluant, is the ability of the thinner to be 100% compatible with the liquids being mixed. Also, all portions of the thinner should be able to form a solution.

One way to check for this compatibility, is to dip a brush into the liquids being mixed, and then, drop the brush in the thinner being considered. If the thinner is compatible with the liquids involved - the brush will be able to be wiped clean with a swipe of a paper towel.

-------------------
If you mix any of the common epoxy finish products and then dip a brush into acetone, you will find that the brush cleans well.

But, if you do the same test with Alcohol, you will find that the brush will NOT wipe cleanly. Thus, Alcohol, is NOT the best chemical to use as a thinner for epoxy.

----------------------
Now, if you obtain Xylene, you will find that one of the main uses for Xylene is to help with the formulation of Epoxy. Thus, you will find that this strong chemical is one of the best thinners of diluant for epxy glues and finishes of all types.

However, due to the extreme and toxic nature of Xylene, you must only use Xylene in a very well vented area and also with proper clothing, skin protection, and breathing protection.

Acetone is nearly as bad, and again, should only be used in well vented areas and then only, with proper body precautions and breathing protections.

[www.ccohs.ca]

[en.wikipedia.org]

[www.epoxyproducts.com]

[www.cdph.ca.gov]

[www.cdph.ca.gov]

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 28, 2014 02:44PM

I do it with a Mid- Temp lacquer thinner
About 5 Drops to 1 CC of finish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2014 03:46PM

I have mixed equal parts of high and low build both a &b. It is a thinner mixture than the heavy high build with the same properties. I think!! Worked ok with alittle more pot life.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-205.myvzw.com)
Date: January 28, 2014 04:20PM

Tom is right, we do have thinning instructions on our website. We recommend acetone and it doesn't take much. Here is a link, scroll to the bottom of the page.
[www.flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 28, 2014 06:43PM

Thanks John!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster