I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Solid titanium parts
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 26, 2014 03:18PM

Just so builders don't get the wrong idea. Do NOT use nickel-silver anything on rods exposed to salt water.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 26, 2014 03:18PM

Just so builders don't get the wrong idea. Do NOT use nickel-silver anything on rods exposed to salt water.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: January 27, 2014 11:08AM

In the case of our marketing materials, Tony Robinson is right on the money. I believe we use the term "solid titanium frame" to describe our Ti guides. This is indeed so customers don't confuse them with our steel framed guides that have a TiCH PVD coating. If you look up titanium alloys on Wikipedia there is an excellent list of Ti alloys, their make up, and common uses for each.
And a big ditto to Phil's post regarding nickel silver. The only pros to nickel silver in my opinion are that its pretty and provides a traditional option. The cons are the corrosion problem and the weight. There are some brands of the raw material that have better corrosion resistance.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: January 27, 2014 12:59PM

Hi Geoff,
I am in agreement with Phil on corrosion with NiAg, but there was a time when we had nickel silver, anodized aluminum, and chrome plated brass for ferrules. This was back in the 1960s. We were not aware of weight on a rod--particularly an 11.5 foot surf rod or a salmon mooching rod. In 1961 and 1962 I built the spinning surf rod and the mooching rod. I used Mildrum steel guides with a Tungsten Carbide tip top with a NiAg frame. The mooching rod had all Tungsten carbide guides with NiAg frames.

About four years ago I rebuilt the surf rod with new guides and Tip top, and a new handle. When I stripped the guides and removed the tip top on the surf rod, I found no corrosion on the guides or the ferrules. I idid find a hint of green where the Tungsten Carbide ring was soldered to the NiAg frame. The same was true for the mooching rod. However I found a bad gouge on the tip section just above the ferrule and it snapped when I flexed the rod. Both of these rods were built on Harnell blanks which I really loved.

In those days I wrapped the ferrule with thread and coated it with three coats of CP and three coats of varnish (it was all we had then). I am also very fanatical about keeping my rods clean. After each I fish with a rod, I rinse with water, wash with a soft rag and soapy water, rinse with water, and dry. The rod is then placed in a rod sock. I think the cleaning part eliminated any corrosion that could start. However having said that I agree that you should keep NiAg materials away from saltwater environments. With the advent of integral ferrules built into all modern fiberglass and graphite blanks the need for metal ferrules has disappeared. Today we only need ferrules on bamboo rods. The cost of NiAg ferrules is nearly prohibitive unless you really love a bamboo rod.

Mike Blomme

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster