I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grouper blanks
Posted by: James Zimmerman (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 25, 2014 03:54AM

Hey guys, the next big build I plan to set out on is for a grouper rod. I lost what may have been the fish of a lifetime in december because I was playing around using a stupid trevala since most of the fish in the areas I fish are 10-15lbs. Fortunate enough to have the ICRB right around the corner so i'll be able to handle some blanks in person, would like some recommendations for some to look at.

I fish private boats several times a year and also party boat about once a year, this setup will be matched with a torium 20 with upgraded carbontex drags and trinidad anti reverse pawl, roughly #22-25lbs of max drag. With it being a higher gear ratio reel I need a blank I can put a little "oompf" in so jigging rods that have no tolerance for a little high sticking are pretty much out for this build. Willing to spend up to $100 for the blank but if there's a quality alternative that's cheaper and seems nice that's always great! I want a blank in the 6'-7' range with a soft tip and a whole bunch of shoulders to it. Will be using lead as light as 4oz to as heavy as 16oz with 50lb mono/80lb floro leader.

So far planning to check out:
Seeker "Hercules" GTS60H & GTS60XH
CRB Gorilla - CBSW78XH
Batson - .595X.281X76 solid glass

Any other recommendations for this build would be greatly appreciated. The quality of guides required for a build under this kind of pressure is a big question mark for me, never built on anything like this, since I won't be using braid can I get away with cheaper boat guides? Tentatively planning for 14" rear grip 8-10" foregrip and full metal gimbal/reel seat..

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grouper blanks
Posted by: Mark Gwynne (---.lns7.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 25, 2014 06:21AM

Phenix Megalodon in the 6 foot range is also worth a look at. The smallest model the PE 2 to 4 has a lot of backbone with a 25kilo max power rating at 60 degrees. Looks like at those drag settings you might want the next one up the MPX 607 and rated PE 3 to 6. It should give the required drag. It might pay to hang the heavy 16 ounce weight off it though just to be sure its not too saturated at that end of the range. Otherwise you might need to go the next one up.
The rod shuts off around the foregrip and has plenty of power.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 25, 2014 09:58AM

I don't see these blanks as equals in any way. Of that list I'd pick the Hercules every time. I think you have a few schools of thought you must weigh.

A slower, parabolic action rod, has the advantage of reducing the leverage the fish has against you as the load increases. In the past I didn't care for such rods as their power didn't increase much after they starting bending. Composite rods like the Hercules change that equation. Their lifting power increases as the rod loads but not everyone is going to like such an action. Some like a rod that doesn't bend much after inital lockup because they want to "move the fish" when they lean into it. That doesn't mean you can't look at a composite rod though. Lamiglass GCBT and tri-flex series have some inital give and then move to a rather stiff butt section with a ton of lifting power. Be advised, they run more powerful than their rating would suggest.

IMHO any solid glass blank is to heavy for comfort. Those are best used when you leave the rod in the holder and engage the boat's motor to pull the grouper off the bottom.

Then you have the complete opposite end of the spectrum, blanks that hardly bend at all, yet are very light in weight. A musky blank is such a blank. They can be appealing when you need to fish a lot of lead but the fish aren't all that big. You would need to be careful not to high stick and to always use a gaff/net. I have one that I intend to use for mutton snapper and smaller grouper. I'd say they are good for fish to 20 pounds for the type of fishing you are talking about. Very light and sensitive but little give in the tip.

Personally I would look hard at the Hercules line. If you decide you desire a little faster action I would look at the lamiglass composite blanks. Both are very strong blanks. Billy V is the man to contact.

P.S. A 2 speed reel comes into its own for grouper:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2014 10:00AM by Russell Brunt.

Date: January 25, 2014 10:24AM

Will check those phenix out Mark thanks!

Russell thanks for the reply as well. I know the three blanks are all over the place as far as style, just trying to get an idea for the different types of blanks I could consider since the expo will probably be the only chance I have all year to handle materials without ordering blindly. I'd never even thought about a musky blank as a possibility for this type of fishing so i'll definitely have to play with a few of those. I'd love to have a 2-speeder but I just picked up a release SG for jigging and I think my girlfriend may kill me if I get another reel in the next 6 months minimum.. I kinda got 7 or 8 new ones last year and none of em were real cheap lol

will do some research in to that lamiglas.. still got a month till the expo! :(

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2014 06:32PM

I have some friends who love the old IMU musky/saltwater blanks from Batson for grouper fishing. Very light and serious backbone where you need it. Reason I bring it up as they are discontinued and you might get a sweet deal. Get Bit has some I believe. Anyone with leftovers will have them at the ICRBE so wiggle one if you find one. I have the 7'2" MH blank that will be used for a sea bass rod once I get the time to focus on one for me.

Posted by: ridge orjalesa (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 26, 2014 07:30AM

Mark, where did you find the drag rating of the phenix?
i saw only see the line listing and no drag rating at 60degrees.
thanks.

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (---.lns7.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 26, 2014 07:48AM

Yes they only do that on the web. I only found this out when i got the blank and it was on the butt section. Since they know it I would prefer they put it up. It's a dead lift weight too by the way not a max drag.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 26, 2014 02:51PM

Hi,

Lamiglas CGBT 841 MH. Grouper guys have been using this blank years down south for big grouper.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: January 26, 2014 04:10PM

Thanks capt Neil will add that one to my list

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster