I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

how much time between coats of threadmaster lite
Posted by: michael evans (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 18, 2014 03:32PM

Hey guys, just put on my first coat of tm lite last night approx 14hrs ago.this is my first time using tm and only my 5th rod and it is still tacky which I assume from reading other posts about it, is because my garage temp is only ~ 35 degrees. When I just checked it, it left a finger print on the finish. Do I want to wait for it to harden a little more before I go for my 2nd coat or is it good to go? Thanks again

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how much time between coats of threadmaster lite
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 18, 2014 04:05PM

You don't need to wait very long. Basically long enough that the previous coat isn't sagging. Just keep the brush loaded, and only let the epoxy touch, on the new coat so it doesn't "grab" on the previous coat.

35 degrees is pretty cold for epoxy work in general. Anyway to get up to 65 degrees? Move it inside? Drying box?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: January 18, 2014 04:36PM

Thanks Russell, and yea I could try and heat my garage, but I'm pretty much a cheap @ss and. Feel its a waste. Also its a spey rod so length issues are a big problem. I'm thinking about putting it on the kitchen counter after My 2yr old goes to bed but I have a gut feeling ill wake up to a snapped rod or it'll be stuck to his hands lol. I'll have to look up how others have built a drying box , because the dust bunnies in My garage somehow always find a way to at least I of my wraps.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 18, 2014 04:48PM

I like cool temps with my finish
But that is Too Cold --- maybe a space heater ??

And yes watch out for that 2yr old

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse5.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 18, 2014 04:58PM

Hi Michael,
Another tip is to keep some of your leftover finish in a bottle cap or the foil if you use it and you can poke or prod that as much as you like and you won't ever damage the finish on a rod. 35 degrees is just above freezing so the finish is going to take a long time to go off and lite version of threadmaster takes a lot longer. You definitely need a warmer area to get it done.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: michael evans (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2014 06:07PM

thanks again guys after hearing everyone's opinion it sounds like i need to make a drying box of some sort or just build rods in the summer time lol. also i usually leave my rods rotating till the epoxy has completely cured, if i take them off when there still tacky after 8hrs or so and put them in my closet or something will it affect the finish at all? i dont think it would but i'd rather be safe then sorry.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 18, 2014 06:51PM

In that temp even after 8 hrs it is not Tack Free It may Sag

Try a piece of scrap blank Do a thread wrap Clear it after 8 hrs Take it off and stant it up See what happens

I would get that temp up Some kind of heat I thin my finish Apply in cool temps yet in cool temps ( Not That Cool ) after at least 6 - 8 hours it should be good I always get it to be Tack Free Will not stick to your finger ( from the cup ) not the rod

IMHO
you need more heat Just don't burn down the garrage

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2014 10:57AM

For a more immediate solution, can you fabricate a simple frame around your rod and cover it with a couple blankets? You can then stick a couple of light bulbs, or even a hair dryer set on low to get the air temp around the rod up into the high 70s. Once it sets up, turn off the motor to the dryer, there is no need to turn it until fully cured.

Date: January 19, 2014 03:44PM

Thanks john that seems like a great idea I have plenty of big boxes right now from my recent move, that I could use and a heat lamp.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2014 10:08PM

If you use a heatlamp, don't aim it directly at the rod, it will overheat the finish, just point the lamp down parallel to the blank inside your frame and blankets.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster