I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

5-point star pattern
Posted by: sandra lafferty (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 10:07PM

Is it possible to produce a 5-point star pattern in a butt wrap? I realize *anything* is possible, but weaves don't count. I haven't progressed that far yet.

Thank you for your time,
Sandra

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 5-point star pattern
Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2014 03:03PM

You can weave one.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2014 04:39PM

John, she said she doesn't wish to weave one. I think a variation of my Flaming arrow might work. It is in Dale Clemens book, and could be tinkered with to produce a 5 point star. I haven't tried to do a 5 point star, but I believe it could be done with a little work and experimentation.In the book it is listed under someone elses name, but I developed that wrap and taught it to Dale and others.

Date: January 10, 2014 04:58PM

Though I read her post twice, somehow I missed the "no weaves", but I would still think it would be easier to perform a symmetrical star by weaving (even with no weaving experience) than by trying to do one as a traditional wrap. I am making the assumption that Sandra is looking for a symmetrical star not an asymmetrical 5 point star-like object.

This is just conjecture, but one half might be a 3 point object and the other a 2 point totaling 5 points, but it would not be symmetrical. Nor would a 4/1 totaling 5.

However, if you did it as two wraps, the first being the upper vertical point of the star, the placed a 4 point star on a non-square axis, you might get close, but that is just way too much work when a weave (or even an applied star decal over a wrapped background) might be a whole lot simpler to execute.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 05:04PM by John E Powell.

Date: January 10, 2014 07:30PM

John, too much work?!! I spent hundreds of hours developing the fish wrap, St. Johns cross, ball, and a dozen others. It is too easy today to look in a book or magazine and just copy a pattern. A little work, trial and error, and experimentation go a long way to making a custom rod builder.

Date: January 10, 2014 09:56PM

Randolph,

If you get a perfectly symmetrical 5-point star worked out, please share it with everyone.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 10, 2014 10:23PM

You would have to combine two patterns. The nature of crosswraps is that you get double of everything. So a 6-sided star is possible with one pattern, but a 5-sided star will require two different patterns intertwined.

Posted by: sandra lafferty (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 10, 2014 11:00PM

Thanks everyone, so much, for the input. I am not by any means a *professional* and just make rods for friends and family. I do know enough about wraps that a 5-sided anything is not easy. Randolph: I have two of Clemens' books. Can you help me locate the flaming arrow pattern? I will likely go with a spider-type pattern but will, in more free time, try to put together a star.

Some background on the wrap idea is that all of my personal rods have *pink condor* in the name. I used a royal blue and silver with my pink shades on these guide wraps and I used the rainbow trout *Skinz* from Mudhole in an open grip configuration. The rod is for kokanee trolling.

My fantasy football team is *Condor Cowboys* so this rod was shaping up to have a Cowboy color pattern, with some pink, so thought it might be a Pink Condor Cowboy. Anyway, hopefully you are not all rolling your eyes because I really like trying new patterns. I love my Rod Builders magazine and love the input I get from all of you on this forum.

Thanks again,
Sandra

Date: January 11, 2014 01:54PM

Sandra page 133 of Custom Rod Thread Art. Like Tom says a 5 point star will require working with 2 different patterns at the same time. I believe it can be done, but will take a lot of experimentation.

John don't expect a perfect pattern any time soon. Working one out will take a lot of work. :>)

Posted by: sandra lafferty (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2014 02:24PM

Thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster