I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mud Hole Guide Alignment System
Posted by: Jon Scobey (---.lightspeed.mmphtn.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 08, 2014 07:49PM

Just got my new Mud Hole catalog and noted they have a laser alignment center. Has anyone seen this first hand?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mud Hole Guide Alignment System
Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2014 09:44PM

I have that exact lazer level. the onlyt problem is that the beam is a little wide and grainey.

I also tried a lazre site for other toys it was better but still a little thick.

still looking for a tight sharp beam or at least closer.

Curt

Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night!

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.usar.army.mil)
Date: January 09, 2014 04:43PM

fuzzy how far out? are we talking 3' or 8' out? I was looking at that as well but dont want it if the beam is wider than the tip at 7'.

Standing by...

Thanks

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 05:49PM

Not for nothing
but
are your eyes that bad that you need a laser
Guides up
Guides down works well for me

I put the tip top on aliained to the seat
When sure it is correct I aliened the rest with th top

Outside in GOOD LIGHT

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 09:15PM

Unless you have a dart straight blank, what good is a laser? I haven't seen too many straight blanks in the 10 years I've been building.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 11:25PM

thanks for asking but I have 20/10 just have a very limited amount of time to build as of late so if I can save 20 min on wrapping it is well worth it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2014 11:37AM

Eric,
I think that Scott has it right.
A laser could work if a blank was perfectly straight.

But about 90% of rod blanks are not perfectly straight - close, but not straight.

With an eye - sighting down a rod against a light background, it is pretty easy to align the guides very quickly.

Be safe

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2014 11:42AM

Hi Jon,

While the CRB Laser Guide Alignment System is featured in our 2014 catalog, it is not yet available for purchase. We hope to have it available the first part of February. The CRB line of products are known for their high quality, great design, economy and functionality – this Laser Guide Alignment System is no exception and we didn’t want to rush it to market until we thought it was perfect.

As mentioned above and as we found in prototype testing – laser beams are very straight, blanks are not. But this tool is for aligning guides – not straighten blanks – so even if you blank has a bend, you can align your guides to the bend of the blank. We’re sure the subject of straightness of blanks will become very popular when this tool gets in the hands of rod builders; we look forward to the discussion.

Regarding the CRB Laser Guide Alignment System – we called it a system because it is more than just a single purpose tool. It has a vertical laser, but it also has two built in leveling bubbles for be sure you blank is level in the wrapper (helps eliminate finish footballs), it has a built in lockable metal measuring tape (inch and metric units) to help in guide spacing. We are updating the web site with addition information, but for now you can view this product at: [www.mudhole.com]

Thank you for your interest in the product, we will be making another post when it becomes available.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 10, 2014 11:49AM

One thing I always do is put the blank on my wrapper rollers and turn it Watch the tip and if it has a bend I make the bend go up Mark that as top This helps

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.105.86.---)
Date: January 11, 2014 03:48PM

I've found my eyes are good enough to align the guides, too. For that last look down the rod before applying finish. I start like Roger, then go out one by one from there. One tip that helps me is to get above the blank and slide my thumb and adjacent finger along the blank feeling the first guide and going to the next one and adjusting by feel until the second guide feels the same to the finger and thumb. That's what I do to locate the guide before wrapping, and it is usually is very close to perfect when visually checked.

Works for me. But I don't wind rods in quantity. If I had to make a living at this I would have to charge a couple hundred dollars a rod for labor and still would make less than minimum wage.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 11, 2014 07:22PM

Like a few have said already but blanks are not straight as it is. Also our eyes are probably the best, but I would in addition try the shadow method. Hold a light over the top of the blank with the guides on the bottom and adjust according to the guides shadows on the blank. Just a tip I was told recently and could help in alignment situations.

Blair M.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster