I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

So do I use CP on NCP thread?
Posted by: Andrew Bermack (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 05, 2014 09:20AM

Okay so I'm going to try royal blue and light gray on a gray blank. On my last rod I used nylon thread and got some dark spots which you folks helped me with ( not using enough CP and not letting it dry long enough) this time I'm thinking why not use NCP thread. Do I still use CP on NCP thread? Anything I should know?

Thanks for this forum. It's a great resource.

You can't catch any fish sitting on the couch!
Houston, TX

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: So do I use CP on NCP thread?
Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: January 05, 2014 09:45AM

There is no reason to use CP on NCP thread. One of the advantages of NCP thread is that CP application is unnecessary. Bear in mind that the finished appearance will be different between regular nylon and NCP thread. The NCP will have a solid. opaque appearance. You will not be able to see the character and detail of the individual thread such as you will when using regular nylon treated with color preserver. I've often had people who know little or nothing about how rods are built express surprise when I tell them guides are wrapped with thread. They thought the NCP wraps were "painted" on or that it was colored shrink tubing. There is really no right or wrong about using either one. It really depend on your individual tastes and the visual effect of what you're trying to achieve. I usually use regular nylon with CP and rarely have a problem when the threads are properly packed and the CP is properly applied. That's the "look" I normally like but there are times when I switch to regular nylon and noCP or to NCP thread because I want to achieve something different with a particular combination of thread and/or blank color. My suggestion is to practice and experiment with both until you get what you like.

Sam

Posted by: Roman Chamine (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 05, 2014 10:59AM

No CP is necessary to preserve the color, but your finish will have more bubbles that you will need to take care of. With the nylon thread and CP most of the tiny cavities are already filled with CP so a lot less potential for bubbles to form. Just my experience.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 05, 2014 11:33AM

just because it is NCP thread does not mean you can not use CP To help with the bubble problem put a wet coat on This will fill and replace the air for less or no bubbles
You can also try a light wet coat of finish
Try some test wraps

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.20.---)
Date: January 05, 2014 11:39AM

I've not noticed a bigger problem with bubbles when I do not use CP, but it may be that I do the following: Warm the epoxy slightly in hot water, tap and blow gently on the epoxy in the mixing container to remove bubbles, wait a couple minutes before starting to use it, and blow the finished product gently and briefly with a heat gun as a last step. Be careful, if you have a heat gun like mine as it's pretty easy to get too much heat.

Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2014 02:35PM

I make it a habit to put CP on all my wraps regardless of NCP. The little bit of color difference can be on your mind before you wrap.

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Posted by: Andrew Bermack (74.81.144.---)
Date: January 06, 2014 09:55AM

Thanks folks. I hadn't considered the bubbles difference w and wo CP. I always warm my finish under a shop lamp before application. I've been using the Flex Coat Lite and have not yet had any bubble problems that couldn't be fixed with a quick pass of a cigarette lighter.

You can't catch any fish sitting on the couch!
Houston, TX

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2014 12:13PM

An application of CP will make the wrap easier to remove if a guide needs to be replaced down the road.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster