I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question for the Fly Guys
Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2013 10:03AM

We will be offering many fly rod grips at the 2014 ICRBE and wanted to know if there was a preference for insert cut-outs.

Leave uncut? 3/4" for half wells? 7/8" for full wells? other?

The cut-outs are easy to do but they are easiest while I still have them on the mandrel.

Input would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, I'm getting pumped for the Expo already.

Riley Rods-Hard Core Grips to Go!-----Carbon Fiber - Composite Grip Store-----Capt Mike's Blog-----No Excuses Fishing Charters

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for the Fly Guys
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 28, 2013 11:57AM

Mike, I won't be at the show this year (will miss Vicki), but as I only build fly rods, here's my input. Most of the recesses I do are 13/16" & 7/8" for the larger size reel seats.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.jsbrcmta02.jnboar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 28, 2013 12:39PM

Let me add that it seems a lot easier to build up the front of the reel seat with some tape or thread if the cutout is too big, harder to open the cutout to match the reel seat if the cutout is too small.
My suggestion would be to go for a larger size opening on the grip, and fit the various reel seats to it.
Should make your inventory control a little easier also.
Happy New Year!

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 28, 2013 12:48PM

That would work Ron
But what of the LIP that rests against the cork If the hole shows Not Quality
I would say train builders to drill the one they need I have two hole saws that I change the center drill and put in a solid shaft Use tape so it fits the hole of the cork and they fit two different seats very nicely No gaps

I find there are two different sizes ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2013 02:11PM

Hey Phil, Vik says hi and she'll miss seeing you this year. A majority I do are 7/8" and I personally only throw an 8wt and a 10wt with larger seats.

Ron, Inventory control is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. I just hate to not do the recess while I have all set on the lathe and still on the mandrel.

Thanks guys!

Riley Rods-Hard Core Grips to Go!-----Carbon Fiber - Composite Grip Store-----Capt Mike's Blog-----No Excuses Fishing Charters

Date: December 28, 2013 02:27PM

Maybe you can get an idea of a couple of sizes that with a little sanding can be modified to fit the seat ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 28, 2013 02:44PM

Mike, I find that I can enlarge a recess that is undersize, by using a dremel tool with the "sanding drum" on Carbon fiber, cork and wood grips quite easily. So 3/4" to 13/16's should not be a problem for most builders.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: December 28, 2013 06:25PM

The hoods on mine range from .745 to .980

Ron Weber

Date: December 29, 2013 10:25AM

One of the hole saws I use to make the correct hole
I drilled into a scrap cork The fit was a tad large so I took the Outer Edge of the hole saw and filed it off so the teeth are the same size of the shaft Tried again and it fit perfect

A 3/4 and 1" hole saw should take care of those sizes
You may have to file or grind a tad off the teeth out side try on scrap first to check fit Then file if needed

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster