I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

It pays to check regularly!!
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse5.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 27, 2013 06:42PM

Firstly I hope everyone had a safe, good christmas and Santa was kind to them.
I put a second coat of finish on a repair yesterday and checked after one hour, all was good and the finish had started to go tacky. I could have easily just left it and thought it would be good but when I checked the second time i found my finish motor had expired. A quick check revealed it must have just happened as the finish hadn't sagged. I managed to bodge my mixing motor to keep it turning which saved some time for me and it turned out well.
It always pays to regularly check finish and glue ups as it can save a lot of unecessary work.
Hope everyone has a safe and prosperous new year.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: It pays to check regularly!!
Posted by: Roman Chamine (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 27, 2013 08:20PM

Interesting... I thought once it gets tacky it is not necessary to rotate the blank anymore. I usually use the finishing motor only for applying the finish. Once it's all done, I rotate the blank by hand 180 degrees every 15-20-30 minutes. Once it's tacky I just let it sit there and dry. My experience is very limited though... so, perhaps, I am not doing it correctly.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 27, 2013 09:09PM

Sometimes I find myself playing with the left-over epoxy on my tin foil with tooth pick or something like that. I find sometimes when I come back to it that the finish has re-leveled itself. Just because it is tacky doesn't mean it won't still move on you.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 28, 2013 04:53AM

Hello Col.

Hey Col I Keep a spare drying set-up (Just a real cheep one) in the closet just in case that or something like that happens, plus I keep spare motors for my dryers and my wrapper motors, so I just quickly move the rod to a spare while I change out the bad motor then put it back in the drying rack.

Have a Happy New Year Col.

Tight Wraps & keep em turning.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (101.119.19.---)
Date: December 28, 2013 06:03PM

G'Day Col I've a spare dryer if you want it. It's yours just let me know & I can meet up with you some time in the New Year as I am on the Gold Coast at my daughters

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse5.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 28, 2013 07:53PM

Hi Barry,
Thanks for the offer but I ordered a new one this morning from Mudhole. Have a good time at your daughters. Will get some SEARBS emails out this week.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster