I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Uv light
Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 20, 2013 07:23PM

I recently saw a uv light for repairs on a sponsors site. I think it is a cool idea and would be great on a bigger scale. I would like to do a whole rod at once. Maybe replace all the light bulbs in my dryer box with uv light bulbs? Has anyone tried this? I didn't find much when I searched

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Uv light
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 20, 2013 07:39PM

Check out cork 4 u in the sponsor list on the left.

Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: December 21, 2013 08:20AM

Hi Don,

The UV light on their website says it's for UV Varnsih? I have never used varnish as a finish, only epoxy. Is there a difference? I thought varnish is old technology and also very yellow?

Maybe be way offside here but like I said I have no experience with varnish?

Chris

Posted by: John Locke (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 21, 2013 09:29AM

I'm only a novice hobby builder and so haven't used but a fraction of the products available, but I'm not aware of any that require UV initiation for curing. I am a scientist working with photopolymers though. UV initiators are, as a lot, nasty chemicals. In addition, the wavelengths of light used can be very harmful to your eyes and great care should be taken to shield yourself from any stray light.

John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 21, 2013 06:44PM

The product is a UV curing urethane. It works as advertised. It has some pros and cons compared to epoxy. Quick and easy to use, but continues to harden upon further exposure to UV light sources. You to decide what your most important criteria is and then decide if a UV curing product is in your best interest.

Cork4US will be at the 2014 Expo and they'll be demonstrating the product there in the exhibit hall.

Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-236-81.myvzw.com)
Date: December 22, 2013 12:27PM

I didn't realize it was a varnish not epoxy. Sorry everybody I should have read more closely.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 22, 2013 01:23PM

It's not a varnish insofar as what you typically think of as being a varnish.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2013 09:43AM

And I want to tell you this stuff is hard as nails when you are doing any guide replacements. TFO uses this process and the repairs I've done on these rods are tough. I charge people extra now for guide replacements on TFO rods just because of this process.

Terry

Posted by: Joaquim Loureiro (---.netvisao.pt)
Date: December 29, 2013 06:36PM

at the moment i finish to create a new vertion of varnish and is flexible and strong and cure more easly than the first model.

i have customers in europe that already use the new varnish and are very satisfy.

Joaquim Loureiro
cork4us.com

Posted by: Brad Hetzel (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2013 09:21AM

I would like to add to Joaquim's post that he also has customers in North Carolina that are already using this new product and are extremely satisfied with the results. I have been using the Cork 4Us Electric oven for several years now as my good friend Norm Hull purchased one at the ICRBE in High Point. The simplicity of using this product where you open a can, brush vanish on your wraps then move the UV oven over your wrap in seconds your wraps are cured, is hard to beat. We have used the same brush for weeks without cleaning it, as long as the brush isn't introduced to the oven UV light it is fine to reuse. If you have a business where you are doing a lot of rework this solution would pay for itself with time saved in a short period of time. Norm often has customers over with reworks, and they leave with in a few minutes with their repaired rod in hand.

The UV oven is only one of their products that they will be bringing to the ICRBE in February, their company is in Portugal and they have the best quality cork products that I have ever used. The cork is a family operation where they have farmers that provide the product, to the warehouse where the selection and finishing process makes sure that the cork will be the highest quality for their customers.

Brad Hetzel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster