I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cam Clark's wrapping machine???
Posted by: Drew McCarsky (---.EPSOLT4.epbfi.com)
Date: December 17, 2013 01:04PM

Hi all,

I am hoping someone could tell me where or IF the wrapping machine shown in his weaving video is something custom built or is there a company out there that make one or similar? Its high time I upgrade my tired old lathe.I was really amazed at the machine's capability, I believe something along these lines could help me greatly.

thanks,
Drew

drew "at" hollycreekrods.com(if you'd rather email me...)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cam Clark's wrapping machine???
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2013 02:15PM

Cam used a Renzetti for a good while. Is that what you're talking about?

[www.renzetti.com]

Posted by: keith david (---.64.215.18.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: December 17, 2013 02:44PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cam used a Renzetti for a good while. Is that what
> you're talking about?
>
> [www.renzetti.com]
> the/craftsman-rod-lathe-detail
>
> ..............
Quick question Tom, what if any are the differences I between a Clemens lath and a Renezzti? I have been learning on the Clemens. My rod spins toward me, is that normal?

Date: December 17, 2013 03:16PM

The machine was designed by Andy Renzetti and originally sold through Clemens. Later, Clemens had another machinist make the lathe. They are basically the same with only minor differences over the years. Yes, the rod should turn towards you, over the top. This is the direction that most lathes of any type, wood, metal, etc., turn.

Date: December 18, 2013 12:00PM

Hi Tom and Keith...

First a huge thank you- It sure looks very similar. I don't see the wire tension guide(?) but it looks like the one otherwise. It is interesting that the rod turns towards you. I guess the question now is "is there a difference?" If so, WHY? I have a VERY Old wrapping machine my uncle bought for me in our Tackle shop around 1982. I was using a simple hand wrapper But Carpal tunnel was Killing me from turning by Hand. The spool sat vertically, Behind the rod, and the Rod turned away from you with the line running from back to front then into a dove tail piece of wood that basically had a cup hook in it. I would replace the cup hook all the time, I wrapped a lot of rods on that old machine, I have replaced the felt at least 4 times over the years. Im on Motor number 3! It serves the purpose. But if anything happened to get in that felt...(while in the tackle shop, a fisherman visited my dad, he opened a reel to fix for the customer and managed to get a few grains onto the empty fork..that was a bad day (thankfully, I had 2 of the same blank) a friend recently purchaced a American tackle machine with the Rollers. really nice compared to what I used all these years. I do have an issue with the traveling board, the rollers under it that ride the rails will pop out if I need to exert extra tension on the line, it will lift on the end that hangs in free space and POP! the whole thing goes right into the wrapping if I am not careful. I read elsewhere that is was said by some that the cost of these machines the High end stuff like the Renzetti) is not worth it because most of the time, You are turning by hand when doing Butt wraps, and guides, It sure has been a pleasure for running underwraps and guides with the motor! So I guess what it boils down to now- would a American tackel or Flex coat(which my old clunker looks very similar to) be "enough" or is there a advantage to the Renzetti machine? nearly 800 bucks is a shot to the wallet after all...I'd spend about half for one of the others.Anyone care to thow a "couple pennies" at this?

Most appreciatively,
Drew

Date: December 18, 2013 12:34PM

There are many wrapping machines that will do a very, very serviceable job. How many rods do you plan to build each year and how much cork and EVA shaping do you do?

Date: December 18, 2013 01:15PM

As many as God and Luck will send my way Tom. I was taught by a few REALLY old school guys from the Jersey Shore-Was building Surf rods and Heavy Boat gear from my Dad's store. after a while, I got a reputation of making nice, reasonably priced rods.I did a lot of Simpler stuff: diamond, Chevorn and simple Butt wraps. I can do the more modern and advanced- the guys wanted something that if it broke, they would be a little miffed, but not like they killed a masterpiece... After my dad died , I joined the Police force , Got hurt and retired- then back to school and in the computer biz- But still kept building . It has been one of those things I can't get out of my system! I'll fish with a friend I built or restored a rod for. (restoring the old stuff is a favorite thing of mine)- THEN NEXT THING YA KNOW- i AM BUILDING HIM A NEW ONE WITH A DIFFERENT PATTERN . I can always "Do better", ya know? . I LOVE to do the work, was making them for anyone who would simply ask. I was told by the "CEO" (you KNOW who that is at my shop) that if I was going to spend all my time in the Ham radio/ rod shop (a big old pole barn we restored) I better be making "something" off the work. And suddenly- I am being called and asked by frineds, encouraged by family and I got a business. I take repairs from the local tackle shops, Did a nice St. Croix for a guy on one of the Pro tours, and the rods started coming. I guess I would average (discounting the christmas rush) between 3 and 6 a month now- Mostly Freshwater these days I live in North GA now. Big long answer for a simple question I know- But wanted you to see where my heart, as well as my head is at with this.
<'}////><

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2013 01:44PM by Drew McCarsky.

Date: December 18, 2013 01:44PM

If you can afford it I'd get the Renzetti. If you can't, I'd go with one of the others and still get the job done.

Date: December 18, 2013 02:06PM

Thanks Tom!

I'll have to save every penny I can! Maybe I'll get lucky and find a "gently used" one someplace. Appreciate it! ...Drewski <'}////><

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster